 General / 39376
Re: Message boards on LEGO.com?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Trobaugh writes:
Has anyone heard anything about this? I just noticed it this morning.

http://boards.lego.com/discussions/participant/default/allcats.jsp?sessid=

All,

Looks like some good conversation has started about the new www.LEGO.com
Message Boards! Allow me to  clarify a few things and answer a few questions
raised.

We "soft-launched" the boards on Tuesday afternoon, meaning we aren't
promoting them like crazy yet,  just to verify that the functionality is
working like we want it to. (Of course, we are getting great  enthusiasm and
participation already!)

These boards are in no way meant to overtake, eliminate, or otherwise
replace any of the other online  LEGO Fan Communities. Each one of those
communities has it's own place in the online world. LEGO  Message Boards
offers yet another piece of the LEGO Enthusiast "Community Mosaic".

While these boards allow users to rate comments and help us determine what
the community thinks about  various issues, they are meant as an open
exchange of (LEGO related) conversation. Through the  ranking, we can see
which ideas prove to be "good" ideas/posts/concepts/etc. (And yes, "good" is
a  relative term, but that's OK!) This ranking will also help users filter
out the content that is  ranked low, in order to make reading topics easier.

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. When I read my message (after
it had been approved and publicly visible) this morning, I was too groggy to
notice a difference. I notice they trimmed an off-topic comment on the top
(something to the effect of 'just testing the new boards out'), and trimmed
where I signed my name at the bottom.

As you all noticed, we are pre-moderating the comments, meaning nothing goes
live without passing by  human eyes. We are trying to provide a safe haven
for discussion for kids of all ages...0-99! We are  still getting the hang
of the moderation, and that first "off-topic" line shouldn't have been
deleted. However, what we can't do is allow personal information of any type
to be uploaded. There is  *way* too much risk involved with that when
dealing with children.

That being said, I have really gone to the mats to ensure that we aren't
"censoring" posts, but  rather simply removing cuss words and personal
information...all things that don't meet the Terms and  Conditions. If the
post would require a great deal of changes to be able to go live, we will
simply  reject it and have users try again.

(For more information on what is allowed, please refer to the Terms and
Conditions all users agree  when logging into the site the first time,
and/or the posting guidelines accessible via the link on  the "Add Comment"
page)

There was also some questions about timing of moderation. We are trying to
moderate posts as fast as  possible. We are still working out the details of
what we accept and reject, so bear with us for a  short while as we get this
process solidified.

We are going to be continually upgrading this product, and will take into
consideration all  suggestions. If you have any thoughts on how to make the
boards better, please feel free to post any  and all thoughts in the "LEGO
Message Boards" area of the boards.

Also, the topics focus on their products rather than on "community" topics

I guess this depends on how you look at "product topics" vs. "community
topics". Some online  communities offer a place for users to discuss a great
many things. LEGO Message Boards is meant to  focus solely on discussion
surrounding building, playing with, creating, displaying, (and so on)
things made with LEGO Bricks. (And for that matter, theory about the LEGO
Company) This wouldn't be  the place to discuss world politics or other
non-LEGO related subjects...there's plenty of better  places for that.

They are polling kids for feedback on LEGO's product line.

Sure, but not as the only purpose. Sure we want to know things, and as a
member of the LEGO fan community (hey, we're in this together!), we will
throw some topics out for discussion. But we also want people of all ages
and from all over to start talking to each other. In that sense, we are here
to help that happen. We can learn in all kinds of ways...listening is one of
the best!

However, you have to wonder if LEGO is trying to capture the LUGNET
community as well.

Sure we are! We want discussion, feedback, and conversation from all of the
LEGO Enthusiasts! But do  we want to "take over" LUGNET? No way. Personally,
I think that is an impossible task anyway with our  pre-moderation
methodology and tight focus on LEGO related products.

Anyway, I hope this has answered more questions that it sparked. If not,
please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Senior Producer