 General / 37060
Re: Lugnet Themes (was Re: Why Isn't there a newsgroup for Launch Command, Alpha Team or Time Cruise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 19:08:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.general, John Henry Kruer writes:
In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
<snip>
Well, it IS a part of lego's toys.  Bionicle isn't exactly very compatabile,
either.  But it has a some quantity of posts in its group.  I hate galidor
as much as the next man (NOT kid, mind you), but I still think that because
it is a distinct theme, it merits its own newsgrup.

There is no doubt Bionicle deserves its newsgroup. For many reasons; but one I
haven't seen mentioned: The release was a massive undertaking on TLC's part. A
huge departure for them. They put enormous focus on it with their marketing
blitz, telling everyone how it'd be a mega-hit. (I'd almost say they bet the
company on it.)

It's what TLC refers to as, a "brand." It's not just a new theme, but a new
BRAND.

LEGO TECHNIC, LEGO DUPLO, and SCALA are other brands. So, no matter how few
posts those groups get, I believe they should be represented individually. The
fact that brands are compatible is almost 'extra.' SCALA and BIOLICLE are
different toys. Galidor looks to be the same way.

That said, they still belong on this site because (thus far) most "Fans of
LEGO" are fans of the company.

Quantity does highlight, but in which type? Most of the posts for bionicle
are either in opposition to the concept, [snip]

Good. If Galador runs similar.. when TLC visits, they can see upon quick glance
just how AFOLs feel about their new product. We'll have separated out all
mention of it for them.

-Suz