 General / 37052
37051  |  37053
Subject:
Lugnet Themes (was Re: Why Isn't there a newsgroup for Launch Command, Alpha Team or Time Cruisers?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 16:42:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
<snip>
Town? How exactly does the time twisters/ Cruisers fit into the town theme?
I couldunderstand by the fact that other groups want nothing to do with it,
but I think arranging themes by TLC's standards do more to confuse the entire
layout for the themes, and a lot of themes get needlessly left out.

Yes, I would agree.  Time twisters/cruisers is a bit of a rogue theme.  They
don't fit really into any of the 'regular' categories (town, space, castle,
etc.) But I don't think it merits its own theme, either.  What is it?  Its a
bunch of ideas from different themes, such as trains, for the Twisted time
train, pirates for the flying time vessal, etc.  It is rather like those
paint ball paintings.  I wouldn't say that it fits into any of the current
themes, or its own theme.

For example, Alpha Team is generally a good series, and I think it would
do well under the .build category, kind of militaristic, yet modern.
However, I doubt others would agree with me on that, because the general
populus seems
only to revolve around Space, Castle, Trains, Town, technic or robotics/
cad. So, I guess there's no room for rogue themes.

Well, there is room, but almost nobody posts in western, football/soccer,
etc.  I don't think that anything would happen in a slpha team group.  I
would classify it as military.  I mean, secret agents?  Helicopters,
rocketships?
The more recent line would be under aquazone.  I don't think there could be
any arguments about that.

<Snip>
Then why would Galidor be a theme? If it's a short run of products that have
basically nothing to do with the Lego concept (besides interchangable arms and
heads), than I do *not* consider it to be Lego, and rather a line of product.

After all, the Galidor parts cannot mingle with the basic brick, have trouble
matching with technic parts, and are generally overspecialized. Think of them
as some of the other lines such as Bionicle Trading cards, Writing Pen (what?)
and other generally useless products that have no purpose IMO.

Well, galidor IS a toy, unlike trading cards (a game) and writing pen (a
utensil).  No matter how much we hate it, I bet some people who like galidor
will come... look at the bionicle newsgroup, for example.

Oh wait! I can think of a use for the galidor products, they make *really*
nice doorstoppers and paperweights! :)

Yeah... hope!  :-)

So, If they can't combine with the common Lego, I will not consider it a theme,
and see no real reason for the Galidor group.

Well, it IS a part of lego's toys.  Bionicle isn't exactly very compatabile,
either.  But it has a some quantity of posts in its group.  I hate galidor
as much as the next man (NOT kid, mind you), but I still think that because
it is a distinct theme, it merits its own newsgrup.

(in my personal opinion, Lego should scrap the action figure concept
entirely...stay with the bricks, and remain faithful to the original product...)

Yeah, definintly!

John Kruer

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112