 Events / BricksWest / 748
Re: BW04? (Re: Saturday General Session Announcements)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:24:05 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Paul Sinasohn wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Mark Papenfuss wrote:

So untill we know for *sure* the future of BW I see any plans to move it as
rude.

What can be said with 100% certainty is that there will NOT be any fan-run Lego
event at Legoland in 2004 at all.

Ok, with you having said that., can you please let us in the big secret as to
WHY? Sorry, I am tired of all the secrets, all the whispers, all the "I heard
from this person who heard from this person.." If people KNOW whats going on
then those people need to open thier mouths so we can figure SOMETHING out. I
see no reason to talk in secrets and whispers... sorry, its not a cool thing to
do and will not harbor good will in any way. If people are working for the good
of the community then they need to talk about it.

And at anyrate, I do not see the point in having a fest outside of Southern
California with NWBrickCon goign on in the nortern part of the west coast. I do
not really care if it is in LA, OC or SD - as long as its in Southern California
- but the fest needs to stay in Southern California - the Northern part of the
West Coast already has a con.

Plain and simple, don't be so freaking provincial. Having an event in SoCal
makes it just as hard for the NW folks to attend as having an event in Seattle
or Portland makes attending hard for you.

I should have added the San Fransisco area in the list also. Bt as others have
pointed out the point of having it by LLCA was *for* LLCA. But if thats not
going to be a possibility for whatever reason can somebody please say why so we
can stop trying to keep it by LLCA? You see what I am getting at?

And whats the deal with being "so freaking provincial"? Please tell me why the
Pacific North West needs *2* fests? Have you forgot about this event here:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=2180

So can somebody please tell me why there may be 2 cons in the pacific northwest?
Please? I do not think asking a reason is too much to ask.

And don't forget the VERY active BAYLUG/BAYLTC folks, who are put upon by having
to travel to BOTH locations.

Never said I forgot or did not care about them. So you are wrong for going down
this route. It is impossible to have a con where *nobody* has to travel.

The event doesn't 'need' to stay in SoCal - it is just more convenient for YOU
if it is there. That's not in the "Play Well" spirit of things.

Um, no. Again, you are wrong - and 100% wrong. My point is stated above, the
Pacific Northwest *already has a con* So do not put words in my mouth to try to
prove your point.

Having said that, I'm angry with Steve as well, as I was under the impression
that this would be a collaboration among folks to set up, not a glorified local
LUG meeting run by one group. In particular, I volunteered - and was accepted -
to run registration for the event, but haven't heard a thing about it.

And the point it has gotten this far without any public communication is
*wrong*. We are all a community here - and more importantly a family. Yes,
familys have problems but the way to get over that is communication - something
that seems whoever it is that is spearheading this event seems to have
forgotten. I am very upset that this has been kept a secret in so many ways -
there is no reason for it, sorry.. not trying to casue a fight but what has been
done so far is not cool to *the community* that cares so much about BW and a
con, any con. This is not about whats "convenient for me" Paul, this is about
the *community*.

Have it in SF, LA, OC, SD - I don't care where it is as long as it is in The
southern or central part of California.. the Pacific North West already has a
con, no reason for them to have another con. Thats not fair to the *community*.

And please know I am not trying to start anything here. I, as well as many other
people are very frusterated at the pure lack of communication and what is
turning out to be a big planning process behind closed doors for whatever
unknown reason. All we are asking for is *communication*. And if I am wrong for
asking that then sorry.

Mark P