 Events / BricksWest / 785
Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:28:43 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Frank Filz wrote:
The public attendance factor is an interesting one. To me, it matters
not much. Why? Well, I get to do public shows all the time.

     That's a valid point, to a certain extent.  Not all participants will have
that sort of experience (I remember about two months ago people were asking
where they could find places for public display), and outside of events like BF,
there aren't any publicly open displays of just MOCs.  Yes, there's LEGOLand,
but as was mentioned previously, seeing a bunch of displays that were designed
by LEGO pros is entirely different from seeing the wide variety of really
strange and wonderful things that dedicated fans can build, and the public are
much more likely to identify with MOC builders than with professional Master
Builders.

I think BrickFest may have hit on a good compromise by keeping Friday
and Saturday as non-public.

     I think you're exactly right.  It gives people like you some non-public
time to just hang out with fellow FOLs, it gives the people who don't get any
public display time a chance to show off to non-FOLs, and it gives the public a
chance to really see what's possible (and possibly inspiring a new wave of
FOLs).

However, as NW Brickcon and BrickFest have demonstrated, you don't need
a local LEGO attraction to attract guests

     Not the general public, no, but it's probably a huge bonus for FOLs who
rarely have a chance to attend, and who don't live anywhere near any of them.  I
did like the idea that someone had of seeing if TLC could set up a sale booth,
but I have a feeling the outlets would be a better deal, as they'd probably have
both lower prices and greater (older/OOP) selection.