 Events / BricksWest / 782
Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:07:47 GMT

Purple Dave wrote:
     To give you an example of what I'm saying, look at the Olympics.  Every
four years it's held in a different location around the world.  Every event sees
a huge number of participants (athletes and coaches) traveling from all over the
world to attend.  Outside of the athletes' families, it's safe to say that the
vast majority of the attending spectators are from the immediate vicinity, with
a much smaller portion of attendance coming from outlying areas (neighboring
states/provinces/countries), and with very few people making a world-wide jaunt
just to go watch people they don't actually know compete in person.  And this is
with a "convention" that just about every self-aware person on this planet has
heard of, and some level of patriotic interest in.  It's a highly famous event,
however, which means that no matter where it occurs (well, probably not
Antarctica), there will be people who want to take advantage of the "chance of a
lifetime" and attend it in their own backyard.  Everybody's so geeked about the
fact that BF actually made the news that I get the feeling these Brick cons
aren't very widely known outside of the general LUG-type communities.  Yeah, if
you don't care about public attendance, a roving con makes perfect sense as it
would allow those who can't afford the time/money to make a long-distance trip a
chance to participate every few years, but doing that will most likely inhibit
the number of walk-in visitors who just want to check things out.

The public attendance factor is an interesting one. To me, it matters
not much. Why? Well, I get to do public shows all the time. I did like
one thing about this years public time at BrickFest, the public time
included the brick bazaar, and thus a chance to sell to the public. One
thing I disliked about NW Brick Con was that it was so much a public
show event that there was little time (and almost no energy - attending
to the public for 6+ hours is draining) for interracting with the fans
(and basically the gaming got shot, no time or energy, and not really
even a location). At BricksWest what disturbed me about the public time
was that the expo was separate from the meeting area, reducing the
interraction between those doing that part of the event and those doing
the sessions and such.

I think BrickFest may have hit on a good compromise by keeping Friday
and Saturday as non-public.

However, as NW Brickcon and BrickFest have demonstrated, you don't need
a local LEGO attraction to attract guests (the outlet doesn't count for
BrickFest, though there may have been advertising there). NW Brickcon
brought people through as fast as we could handle them, and more people
could have been handled if the space was better arranged.

Frank

Frank