 Events / BricksWest / 778
Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:16:04 GMT

Dave Johann wrote:

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Frank Filz wrote:

It is true that PNLTC is a train club, however, one should not assume
there is no non-train interest in the area. I will be running the gaming
component of BrickFest PDX, and will be bringing much pirate stuff for
use in Evil Stevie's Pirate Game and display. Ben Fleskes has one of the
best models of the Millenium Falcon out there. Jeremy Rear has a very
nice range of military models (which do show up on our train layouts).

I never made that assuption. There's always some level of interest. I'm pointing
out that the level of interest seems to be a tad bit higher some 1049 miles to
the south (thanks Mapquest). People will flock to wherever the event is located,
but the number of people going will vary significantly based on location, date,
and weather.

It's certainly true that local interest helps, but it is not necessary.
In fact, a brick con in Portland might be what is necessary to spark a
LUG. I'm not convinced weather is that important (DC in the summer is
horrid...).

One should also point out that many areas of BricksWest have been
championed by non-locals: Train presentations, animation contest, Pirate
Game, LDRAW, robotics, and more. The brick cons have really started to
realize that the best person to host a particular theme or area of
interest may not be local (this has actually been recognized from the
start since I ran the Pirate Game for the first BrickFest). This is
great and also helps ensure burnout doesn't happen (it's will be much
easier to find a new champion for the Pirate Game when I decide I don't
want to do it anymore given that I am not local to the club).

Frank

Agreed. No one runs a Pirate game quite like you do, Frank. No one is pushing
the need to have things run solely by locals either, but without any information
available about the upcoming event, quite a few folks who would have helped to
organize and participate are now rethinking their level of contribution simply
because we've just heard about this event a scant two days ago. Had any details
of this event been available PUBLICLY a few days before, this would never have
garnered the amount of attention it has gotten.

-Dave (who's getting tired of pointing out that the lack of available info is
what caused all the problems in the first place.)

I'll let Steve Barile comment on details of the timing, however, I know
that only recently was the name secured. Also, it is usually best for a
group organizing an event get a decent start of a plan in place before
going public. If you look back at the lead up to BricksWest, you will
see a lot of public pain and suffering because the groundwork for the
event was being done in public. That was especially true of the name
issues - that would have been a dead issue Matt G. had started his plan
in private, and talked to a few people about name (and found out about
BF's desire to protect their name if that was even what he wanted to do
in the first place). The whole issue of location was also messy, there
was argument at that time for the folks in DC to let BF travel.

Frank