 Events / BricksWest / 789
Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:05:48 GMT

I wonder why this must be the case. BrickFest started quite well as a
purely fan event

For a time.  But it is growing and incorporating the public.  Is it not?
     Take SciFi cons for example.  You pay to get in, boy to you pay, but I can
go and wander about if I wish.  I won't get the extras  but I can wander about.
Now I believe your average attendance for a SciFi con goes into the hundreds, if
not thousands. That's what supports that SciFi con.  They don't really need the
public wandering about.  It has a healthy fan base to support it.
     We don't have one hundred LEGO fans in Seattle, much less a thousand.  We
need as much public as possible to pay for what the fans cannot.  Also, I'm
looking for converts.  Then we can have our more propper "con."  We'll have a
base to support it.

Are people in the North West really that stingy?

Not really but no one wanted to pay $75 to see the same people on the weekend in
downtown Seattle.  Plus, that's our carrot.  Keep the costs for the fans
minimal.  Heck, we got LEGO to buy!  Priorities man!

I hope you'll make it out.  Our public will be locked out at 4PM.  We got the
space til midnight.  There will be time for mingling.  Also, we're looking at an
established sign in volunteer sheet, so no one gets stuck in the same spot all
day long.  We're growing and learning, I hope you'll stick with us.

Mark