 Dear LEGO / 5629
Re: LEGO set 4999 Vestas (please release it)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:21:43 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Abner Finley wrote:
   Dear LEGO and Vestas, I believe AFOL’s fans would be happy. Not to forget the exposure for both • LEGO and Vestas wind power.

I initially saw the photos on-line of the LEGO Vestas Energy display at the Hong Kong Airport a few months ago. I fell in love with the display and immediately starting trying to figure out the turbines on the wind mill. At first the blades looked they were a molded one piece units. The additional new photos on BrickShelf look like they are made of plates combined in the same fashion as in the LEGO theme parks. My first thought were how can I buy the blades or build the display. Now additional photos have surfaced on BrickShelf.

I can understand the dilemma that LEGO faces and why they are upset that the photos of the new set were leaked. LEGO has warned us before. LEGO must honor its exclusive agreement with Vestas Energy, but that does not mean that LEGO can not sell a generic version of the windmill minus the exclusive parts including the green burps (Yes, I want them just like the rest of you.) I think in light of the current crisis and energy awareness that Vestas Energy should be willing to participate in what would amount to a free marketing campaign. Bob, I am glad you contacted Vestas Energy, and I think we all should do the same asking that they agree to release the set for world wide distribution, if not with their name, then in a generic version.

I was drooling when I saw the first photos and almost went into LEGO euphoria when I saw the windmill with an actual set number this week. I started searching the internet for additional information. Seems that the design and instructions for powering the unit are available on the LEGO web site under NXT. Apparently this design and concept was the winner of one of the NXT competitions. Now someone please explain to me why LEGO Group, Inc. can not release a generic version of the set based on the above interest.

CDCWDC