 Color / 158
Re: The Knight Bus problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 17:23:47 GMT

   Our contact from TLC, Bjarke H. Nielsen, asked quality management on our behalfes and got this answer:

The Harry Potter Knight Bus

We would like to stress that the colour variance of the bricks for the bus is within our specified tolerances. We realize that many LEGO enthusiasts consider this bad quality, but to our core consumers, who for this set are boys and girls aged 7-12 the play experience is in focus. The fact that the colour variation does not play an important role to children is also reflected in the consumer feed back that our Consumer Service department has captured regarding the bus so far.

We find it important to note that the colour deviation is not an error as it is still within our specifications, but we have been dealing with a sensitive colour regarding visibility of deviations.

1. The purple color is extremely difficult to manage from a production perspective and at the same time a new colour to the color palette of LEGO Company.

2. For the production of the launch quantity LEGO Company used 2 different suppliers of raw material that produces the raw material in two different ways – pre-colored and compounded. Some of the color changes might occur due to these deliveries.

3. The purple color changes significantly dependent on which type of light it is seen in. In bright daylight the variance is much less than in e.g. office neon light.

4. Opposite to most other LEGO models the same color is used on a relatively large flat surface which makes the color variance even more visible to the human eye.

Based on the above, we have decided to use a raw material for future production for which the colour tolerance is considerably narrower than what we usually require from our raw materials.

Just thougth I would share,

Martin

http://www.byggepladen.dk/

Thanks for the info Martin. I’ve been interested in this set and am still considering buying it. I’ve seen pictures of the color difference and it makes it a tough call if I want to invest dollars in it.

Maybe I’m just someone who sees the glass as half full but to me the good news from the message from the TLC representative is that Lego has decided to use raw materials in the future which will minimize purple color differences like this. At least they are listening to their customers, especially the ALOFs.

Tom