 Color / 144
Re: The Knight Bus problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 15:43:36 GMT

In lugnet.color, Martin Bruun wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Benjamin Medinets wrote:

Thanks for the info and taking the time to post this. I put together mine yesterday night and I was very upset at the contrast of pieces. As for the story, I don’t really buy that considering that the same part is in 2 different shades.

I might have to see what Lego can do for me. However, I will only “trade my knight bus in” for one that is ok. If they can’t replace mine then I’ll make due with the messed up one that I have.

Ben M.

ps. Alfred, you saved me time from having to begin a senseless rant. Thanks for saving me time!!! :)

Today we got some further information about this on our Danish LUG’s forum.

Our contact from TLC, Bjarke H. Nielsen, asked quality management on our behalfes and got this answer:

The Harry Potter Knight Bus

We would like to stress that the colour variance of the bricks for the bus is within our specified tolerances. We realize that many LEGO enthusiasts consider this bad quality, but to our core consumers, who for this set are boys and girls aged 7-12 the play experience is in focus. The fact that the colour variation does not play an important role to children is also reflected in the consumer feed back that our Consumer Service department has captured regarding the bus so far.

We find it important to note that the colour deviation is not an error as it is still within our specifications, but we have been dealing with a sensitive colour regarding visibility of deviations.

1. The purple color is extremely difficult to manage from a production perspective and at the same time a new colour to the color palette of LEGO Company.

2. For the production of the launch quantity LEGO Company used 2 different suppliers of raw material that produces the raw material in two different ways – pre-colored and compounded. Some of the color changes might occur due to these deliveries.

3. The purple color changes significantly dependent on which type of light it is seen in. In bright daylight the variance is much less than in e.g. office neon light.

4. Opposite to most other LEGO models the same color is used on a relatively large flat surface which makes the color variance even more visible to the human eye.

Based on the above, we have decided to use a raw material for future production for which the colour tolerance is considerably narrower than what we usually require from our raw materials.

Just thougth I would share,

Martin

http://www.byggepladen.dk/

Spotlighted! I hope this gets stoplighted enough so that people outside of the .color group can see it. It is sad to me that, basically, TLC is saying that the color variation is fine and that the bus is meant to be played with and the mismatched colors don’t matter so much.

It is also interesting to me that Consumer Service has not heard about the problem much. For all the ranting that goes on here, I guess it doesn’t really get to TLC unless it is pursued through channels that they have established. I would call in a complaint myself, but I am never going to buy this set based on the negative reviews and pictures that people have posted about the colors.

On the other hand, I am not convinced that Consumer Affairs really listens and records complaints properly. Maybe this is just paranoia on my part, but I never have gotten a sense of them listening to my messages. For instance, I recently went through my white and blue bricks and picked out the ones that had yellowed signigicantly. I sent Consumer Affairs two e-mails about possible replacement of the parts and the associated cost. The first reply was very generic and didn’t even seem to address the question I had. I sent another e-mail, again asking the question and noting that the first response was not related to my questions. The second reply asked me to call and speak to someone directly. Rather than do that, I sent a longish letter (along with my previous e-mails and bricks) to Consumer Affairs. I asked that they recycle my bricks if they were not able to be replaced.

I got my package back (bricks and all), along with a letter that told me about the bulk service packs program that CA/S@H offers. Of course, I already knew about the bulk packs - I had mentioned it in my first e-mail and subsequent letter. It seemed that CA didn’t read my correspondence because they kept mentioning the bulk pack program that I was aware of and did not mention my request to recycle the bricks at all (I eventually donated the bricks to Goodwill - I suppose thinking that someone to whom the color variance wouldn’t prevent enjoyment of the toy might pick them up).

Anyway, I am not sure if I will write or call CA for anything anymore. My experiences with them have been a waste of time at best. Last year, I bought something at the LEGO Outlet that was missing parts and after calling CA I got the parts replaced, but at a price of $10 (it was a $20 set missing 7-8 pieces - damaged box). The set was widely available for $10 at the time and the only reason I paid CA for the parts versus buying it again elsewhere was that I felt guilty for keeping someone on the phone going through which parts were missing before they stated the cost. I would have felt bad for going through that and then saying, “well, I’ll just go to Wal*mart and buy another copy for that price.”

So, my solution from now on is to depend on reviews and opinions on LUGNET and leave CA out of it.

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com