 Color / 145
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 15:56:15 GMT

In lugnet.color, Jake McKee wrote:
   First off, I apologize for bringing this issue up again, but a promise is a promise. I said I would deliver more background info on the color change, and here it is. In an effort to reduce the almost certain flood of responses to this post, please understand that I am only posting the story, and won’t be debating the color change merits. My goal here is to simple share the real story of how the color change to be. Sorry for taking so long to get this out to you. In an effort to be 100% accurate, I wanted to fact check like mad before posting. I know that some people won’t believe this is the “real” story, but if you have a stack of Bibles, I’m ready to swear on them.

Jake,

Thanks for coming through with this message. It’s nice to have some knowledge of the process and history of the color change.

snip

   This initiative led to a revised color palette. This new color palette included some deletions of low-use colors, additions of new colors, and some tweaks to the existing colors. The goal in all these changes was completely and totally focused on creating the absolute best set of LEGO colors possible.

If possible, I would like to know more about the thinking that went into the tweaking process. Was the old dark gray too “warm”? Was there a mathematical calculation used to bring the hue in line with other colors? The theory behind the tweaking interests me.

snip

   I hope this helps clear things up.

I certainly think it’s a step in the right direction. Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate!

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com