 Castle / 5600
Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - more pictures!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:30:15 GMT

Ok, as promised, I've got more pictures. I'm not sure whether I'll continue this project or abandon it. Read the older posts if you
want to find out more background. The pictures are at:

Commentary on the pictures (sorry about the mess in the backgrounds, my apartment is kind of cramped with LEGO):

01: This shows the initial layout of the cliff base. Note that it changes somewhat. I have also started the towers to support things
along the river. Note the 6057 parked in what will be a sea cave in the future.

02: Another view. Note that the right hand column of 32x64 with the river is removable, and the left front row of 64x16 containing
the cliff face and sea cave entrance is removable.

03: The bridge over the river is complete. The castle is buried in construction debris.

04: Minifig's view of the bridge (some later pictures will be a little better, I put a white cover in front of the Skull's Eye
Schooner.

05: Here the debris has been cleared.

06: Now the road is nearing completion, though the front section will be moved forward some in the next building spree. Note that
the sea cave entrance will be tall enough for the small ship from 6277 to sail through. The drawbridge will cross the sea cave
entrance.

Unfortunately I lost a few pictures of this stage of construction when the media for my camera got corrupted. The rest of the
pictures below show the current state of the construction.

07: Here's a frontal shot. Note that the cliff face on the right has moved forward. The black plate at the top used to be at the
back of the 64x16 section, now that BURP at the very top is between the black plate and the back of the 64x16 section. Also, the
64x16 section has been established as two 32x16 sections, the only connection will be the draw bridge. The left hand cliff face has
also been constructed. That top row of BURPs isn't actually finished yet.

08: A lower view. Note that with the white background, the bridge is easier to see.

09: This shows the right-hand cliff 32x16 section, the face on the left is the wall of the sea cave entrance.

10: The back of the left hand cliff face. The sea cave is lined with dark grey BURPs. The yellow is the left hand edge of the
creation and in theory would have more cliff extending it (but it is extremely doubtful that I will finish the cliff to the gory
end - I envision it to extend for miles).

11: A top view of the left hand cliff face. You can see the bracing. The 2x10 bricks connecting the two sets of BURPs adds
tremendous stability to the whole thing.

12: A front view of the left hand cliff face. The flat face on the right is the left hand wall of the sea cave entrance.

13: Another view of the right hand cliff face.

14: A backstage view of the right hand cliff face. Note the pins for connecting to the main module. You can see I wasn't too picky
about color coordination of the scaffolding. I had to tie those 2x4 columns together some to keep the whole thing from collapsing.

15: The river module. Note that some of the cliff face is only one stud thick. There used to be a pin up here, but it kept blowing
out the cliff when the module was plugged in or unplugged. This module now doesn't connect to the front cliff face module.

16: The right hand part of the main module. You can see that the cliff along the road has been started.

17: The main module and the river module.

18: The inside of the sea cave, looking at the small cave room off to the side. Note also the battlement for a defense post which
overlooks the sea cave. Access to the defense post will be from the cellar of the castle. The BURP sitting on the grey and black
stripes is a removable module to provide easy access to the cave room.

19: Now you can see what the cave room looks like with the block removed. Note the use of tiles. That red brick is hidden by the
removable block, so even if you crawled into the cave room, you wouldn't see it normally.

20: Frontal view of the current state.

21: Top view of the current state. Note that the stairs up from the sea cave have been started. The black column in the front will
support the roof of the sea cave. This is a major sticking point. The design of the sea cave is proving to be tricky, the span is
just too large, especially with the intention that the front module be able to be removed to provide easy access. Also, the stairs
are going to be a major production.

22: A view from the river side.

23: A view from behind (sorry about the foreground).

work-area: bonus shot of what my building area looks like in full swing of construction (though you can't see all the bags of parts
virtually covering the floor).

Frank