 Castle / 5593
Re: My first Castle MOC has been started!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 17:57:12 GMT

Mookie wrote in message <39830CF2.100D548A@worldnet.att.net>...
Man Frank, I thought my room was bad! how do you find anything in
there???

When everything is stowed, it's pretty easy to find stuff. While building, I'm always misplacing a bag. Each drawer, tub, crate, or
other large container holds similar parts. For example, the  tan crate behind the chair holds 1x6 and longer 1xY bricks. The blue
crate beside it holds large rectangular plates (except for the very large ones which are in the small brown crate between the blue
and tan crates). The little yellow crate primarily holds bricks which have studs or tubes on the side. The drawer unit behind the
chair holds all the slopes (except the roof peaks and corner slopes etc. which are in a compartmented container under the table the
castle is on. The left hand drawer unit holds mostly smaller plates and tiles, but the 2xY plates overflowed a drawer, so they are
in a tub which fits between the two drawer units, and the drawer now holds curved bricks.

Under the building table, are most of my Plano like compartmented boxes. There are more tubs and compartmented boxes under the
computer desk (leg room is csrefully arranged).

I've got stuff in bags all over my room right now, and I can't seem to
remember which bag has what it in if it's a misc. bag... I know I need
to sit down and do some serious sorting again very soon! I've got too
many misc. bags and buckets :(

My problem is that sorting has been my life for the past year and a half. I need to schedule more time for building. Fortunately,
I'm starting to get ahead of the purchases on the sorting game (but I still have more sets to sort than Wal-Mart has on their
shelves on a slow day). But hey, there's only ONE floor to ceiling stack of sets. Of course 4 other stacks reach the ceiling, but
they don't start on the floor. That basically covers all my unsorted sets in the largest size category (the 18"x24"x6" or
thereabouts set boxes). I probably also have 100-200 smaller sets (though the unsorted medium size sets have been dwindling fast -
they're probably ones I can sort the most efficiently).

On your first MOC! looking good, any ideas on just how tall it's going
to be yet? I love the underground stream idea, I've had that in my head
for a while just haven't had the chance to build anything with it. Ever
since I did my mountain and I put that hidden alcove in it, I've wanted
to build something like that into a castle structure :) Sounds like
you'd have that chance with the under ground entrance from the stream!
(Now I'm giving away my ideas) :(

The sea cave is going to be about 4 BURPs tall (about 25 bricks). The castle basement will be just above that, so the castle gate
will be more than 30 bricks off the ground. It will be tall enough for small ships like 6057 or 6277 to enter (in fact, I'm going to
make two 6277 style ships for the Wolfpack, I need to talk to Sheree Rosenkrantz about making some Wolfpack sails for me).

I've got the road complete all the way up to the entrance to the sea cave (at 22 bricks high). The road is pretty steep, being made
of x3 low slopes). I've finished off the small room off  to the right of the sea cave entrance. Because of what I will be building
on top of it, I had to make a pull out section of wall to allow access to it.

One thing I haven't totally decided is how I am going to support the castle over the sea cave. Except for the fact that I want to
have an elevator shaft in the middle, I thought about using the 44x44 base from a Scala house. I might still figure out a way to use
the 22x44 piece. I may also just make a 2 or 3 brick thick sandwich of 12x24 superbricks.

I just built a temporary mock up of the cliff face to the left of the sea cave entrance. Because of space limitations, I'm going to
have to work hard to disguise the regularity of the BURPs.

Keep us posted on the progress!!

I'll probably have more pictures tonight (oh how I love my digital camera!).

Frank