 Castle / 5598
Re: My first Castle MOC has been started!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:12:25 GMT

sheree rosenkrantz wrote in message ...
Well begun Frank.  Off to conquer even more worlds (or should I say
themes?).   I can't figure out what  you moved  or packed away to make room
for this layout?

Oh, I've been conquering the Castle theme for some time (though I'm not even pretending to try and become castle complete -
actually, Pirates is the only significant theme I'm trying for completeness on, though as soon as my next S@H shipment arrives, I'll
be Rock Raiders complete [unless Kabaya has come out with a Rock Raiders set]).

I just cleared off my sorting/building table (the one next to the computer).

I forget . . .  is it under the computer desk where the Fabulous Fabuland
yellow trunk is archived?  You know it's not really the right scale for
castle and pirates .
I wouldn't want anything to marr the perfection of your creations present or
future.  ;-)  Maybe it would be best for you to remove this possibly
contaminating element from the premises...  Say about an hour and a half
away in a Western direction?

Oh, I've got lots of Fabuland parts already poluting my stuff...

Ah . . . to have such delightful problems!

Well, someone has to buy all those poor lonely sets...

The sea cave is going to be about 4 BURPs tall (about 25 bricks). The • castle basement will be just above that, so the >castle gate
will be more than 30 bricks off the ground. It will be tall enough for • small ships like 6057 or 6277 to enter (in fact, I'm >going to
make two 6277 style ships for the Wolfpack, I need to talk to Sheree
Rosenkrantz about making some Wolfpack sails for >me).

Will do gladly...  (not contingent on the trunk ;-) .   I am currently
approaching a deadline on a sewing related project.  I anticipate completion
of it within a week give or take a day
or two.  I could make short order of it after then.

I'll be off on vacation August 5-12, so we can talk after that. I've got two ideas on this. One is to duplicate the Wolfpack symbol
(but technically, that would be violating TLC's IP), my other thought is to get a wolf shape some other way (which is what I'm
inclined to do since I respect TLC's IP).

I'll probably have more pictures tonight

Goodie!  I like to see the evolution of a project.  Much more interesting
than just the end product.  Commentary is appreciated also.

Well, I may have bit off more that I can chew. Roofing over the huge sea cave is looking to be a problem. I'm also running into
problems with the way I set up the modular splits. There are some pretty tall bits which are only a couple studs wide. I also
started to think about all the other issues of getting the whole mountain tall enough. I may end up tearing the whole thing down,
and starting with a less grandiose plan (like reduce the sea cave to large enough for a rowboat, which was actually my original
idea - I was even thinking about some sort of opening skull like lots of the pirate sets use).

I'll definitely take pictures of my progress before I do any demolishing though. This certainly has been a learning experience. One
of the problems I ran into was that I was concentrating on building the road up, and not building the cliff face which rises above
the road at the same time. The result is that when I started to do that, I was building separate towers to support the cliff face,
and the whole thing was not sturdy (in fact, one of the modules kept breaking up every time I tried to move it - I did end up
re-building part of it to make a more integral structure). One problem I'm running into is there just aren't enough long bricks to
make sturdy open structures. I'd love to see 2x16 bricks in a variety of colors, and at a semi-reasonable price. Actually, even
larger bricks would be useful (like the 4x18 bricks which are used in the highway system - actually, if the support towers for the
highway system were available as a parts pack, they could be useful for building strong towers).

One of the limitations I see with LEGO is that the stud actually isn't tall enough when you get to large creations. It just becomes
too easy to pop bricks apart.

Frank