 Castle / 5590
Subject:
My first Castle MOC has been started!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 06:55:16 GMT

Check out:

for some pictures of the start of my new castle. It will be a Wolfpack castle
nestled on a clifside by the sea. A large sea cave will have a dock area and
an underground stream, with stairs leading up to the castle. A steep road will
hug the side of the cliff to provide a land entry. A bridge leads from the
base of the road across a river to the future site of a town.

The base is set up to separate into three sections. The river and bridge is
one section, the front cliff face is another, and the rest of the castle will
be on the largest section. The sections are laid out something like this:

+-------+-------+---------------+
|       |       |               | +---+-------+---+
| GREEN | BLUE  |  TAN          | |   |       |   |
|       |(river)|               | |TAN| BLUE  |TAN|
|       |       |               | |   |(river)|   |
+-------+-------+-------+-------+ |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | |   |       |   |
| TAN   | BLUE          | TAN   | |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | |   |       |   |
|       | (sea cave)    |       | |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | +---+-------+---+
|       |               |       | |               |
|       |               |       | | BLUE          |
|       |               |       | |               |
+-------+-------+-------+-------+ |               |
+---------------+---------------+ |               |
|               |               | |               |
| BLUE          | BLUE          | |               |
| (cliff face)  | (cliff face)  | |               |
|               |               | |               |
+---------------+---------------+ +-------+-------+

I hope I have enough bricks, though one of the purposes of this castle is to
use up some of my BURPS (I've got a copier paper box almost full of dark grey
BURPS, and then the gery BURPS fill the box cover, and there is a small bag of
other colored BURPS).

I'd love for this castle to exist somewhere in Castle World. I haven't made my
Wolpack leader minifig yet, but perhaps I will take a break from castle
construction tomorrow.

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 16:57:22 GMT

Man Frank, I thought my room was bad! how do you find anything in
there???
I've got stuff in bags all over my room right now, and I can't seem to
remember which bag has what it in if it's a misc. bag... I know I need
to sit down and do some serious sorting again very soon! I've got too
many misc. bags and buckets :(

On your first MOC! looking good, any ideas on just how tall it's going
to be yet? I love the underground stream idea, I've had that in my head
for a while just haven't had the chance to build anything with it. Ever
since I did my mountain and I put that hidden alcove in it, I've wanted
to build something like that into a castle structure :) Sounds like
you'd have that chance with the under ground entrance from the stream!
(Now I'm giving away my ideas) :(

Keep us posted on the progress!!

Tamy

Frank Filz wrote:

Check out:

for some pictures of the start of my new castle. It will be a Wolfpack castle
nestled on a clifside by the sea. A large sea cave will have a dock area and
an underground stream, with stairs leading up to the castle. A steep road will
hug the side of the cliff to provide a land entry. A bridge leads from the
base of the road across a river to the future site of a town.

The base is set up to separate into three sections. The river and bridge is
one section, the front cliff face is another, and the rest of the castle will
be on the largest section. The sections are laid out something like this:

+-------+-------+---------------+
|       |       |               | +---+-------+---+
| GREEN | BLUE  |  TAN          | |   |       |   |
|       |(river)|               | |TAN| BLUE  |TAN|
|       |       |               | |   |(river)|   |
+-------+-------+-------+-------+ |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | |   |       |   |
| TAN   | BLUE          | TAN   | |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | |   |       |   |
|       | (sea cave)    |       | |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | |   |       |   |
|       |               |       | +---+-------+---+
|       |               |       | |               |
|       |               |       | | BLUE          |
|       |               |       | |               |
+-------+-------+-------+-------+ |               |
+---------------+---------------+ |               |
|               |               | |               |
| BLUE          | BLUE          | |               |
| (cliff face)  | (cliff face)  | |               |
|               |               | |               |
+---------------+---------------+ +-------+-------+

--
Keep on Bricken'
-Tamy

http://home.att.net/~mookie1/
Lego isn't a toy, it's a way of life!

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 17:57:12 GMT

Mookie wrote in message <39830CF2.100D548A@worldnet.att.net>...
Man Frank, I thought my room was bad! how do you find anything in
there???

When everything is stowed, it's pretty easy to find stuff. While building, I'm always misplacing a bag. Each drawer, tub, crate, or
other large container holds similar parts. For example, the  tan crate behind the chair holds 1x6 and longer 1xY bricks. The blue
crate beside it holds large rectangular plates (except for the very large ones which are in the small brown crate between the blue
and tan crates). The little yellow crate primarily holds bricks which have studs or tubes on the side. The drawer unit behind the
chair holds all the slopes (except the roof peaks and corner slopes etc. which are in a compartmented container under the table the
castle is on. The left hand drawer unit holds mostly smaller plates and tiles, but the 2xY plates overflowed a drawer, so they are
in a tub which fits between the two drawer units, and the drawer now holds curved bricks.

Under the building table, are most of my Plano like compartmented boxes. There are more tubs and compartmented boxes under the
computer desk (leg room is csrefully arranged).

I've got stuff in bags all over my room right now, and I can't seem to
remember which bag has what it in if it's a misc. bag... I know I need
to sit down and do some serious sorting again very soon! I've got too
many misc. bags and buckets :(

My problem is that sorting has been my life for the past year and a half. I need to schedule more time for building. Fortunately,
I'm starting to get ahead of the purchases on the sorting game (but I still have more sets to sort than Wal-Mart has on their
shelves on a slow day). But hey, there's only ONE floor to ceiling stack of sets. Of course 4 other stacks reach the ceiling, but
they don't start on the floor. That basically covers all my unsorted sets in the largest size category (the 18"x24"x6" or
thereabouts set boxes). I probably also have 100-200 smaller sets (though the unsorted medium size sets have been dwindling fast -
they're probably ones I can sort the most efficiently).

On your first MOC! looking good, any ideas on just how tall it's going
to be yet? I love the underground stream idea, I've had that in my head
for a while just haven't had the chance to build anything with it. Ever
since I did my mountain and I put that hidden alcove in it, I've wanted
to build something like that into a castle structure :) Sounds like
you'd have that chance with the under ground entrance from the stream!
(Now I'm giving away my ideas) :(

The sea cave is going to be about 4 BURPs tall (about 25 bricks). The castle basement will be just above that, so the castle gate
will be more than 30 bricks off the ground. It will be tall enough for small ships like 6057 or 6277 to enter (in fact, I'm going to
make two 6277 style ships for the Wolfpack, I need to talk to Sheree Rosenkrantz about making some Wolfpack sails for me).

I've got the road complete all the way up to the entrance to the sea cave (at 22 bricks high). The road is pretty steep, being made
of x3 low slopes). I've finished off the small room off  to the right of the sea cave entrance. Because of what I will be building
on top of it, I had to make a pull out section of wall to allow access to it.

One thing I haven't totally decided is how I am going to support the castle over the sea cave. Except for the fact that I want to
have an elevator shaft in the middle, I thought about using the 44x44 base from a Scala house. I might still figure out a way to use
the 22x44 piece. I may also just make a 2 or 3 brick thick sandwich of 12x24 superbricks.

I just built a temporary mock up of the cliff face to the left of the sea cave entrance. Because of space limitations, I'm going to
have to work hard to disguise the regularity of the BURPs.

Keep us posted on the progress!!

I'll probably have more pictures tonight (oh how I love my digital camera!).

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:53:53 GMT

Well begun Frank.  Off to conquer even more worlds (or should I say
themes?).   I can't figure out what  you moved  or packed away to make room
for this layout?

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message

[...]

I forget . . .  is it under the computer desk where the Fabulous Fabuland
yellow trunk is archived?  You know it's not really the right scale for
castle and pirates .
I wouldn't want anything to marr the perfection of your creations present or
future.  ;-)  Maybe it would be best for you to remove this possibly
contaminating element from the premises...  Say about an hour and a half
away in a Western direction?

[...]

Ah . . . to have such delightful problems!

On your first MOC! looking good, any ideas on just how tall it's going
to be yet?
I love the underground stream idea,

Yes, me too.

I've had that in my head
for a while just haven't had the chance to build anything with it. Ever
since I did my mountain and I put that hidden alcove in it, I've wanted
to build something like that into a castle structure :) Sounds like
you'd have that chance with the under ground entrance from the stream!
(Now I'm giving away my ideas) :(

The sea cave is going to be about 4 BURPs tall (about 25 bricks). The • castle basement will be just above that, so the >castle gate
will be more than 30 bricks off the ground. It will be tall enough for • small ships like 6057 or 6277 to enter (in fact, I'm >going to
make two 6277 style ships for the Wolfpack, I need to talk to Sheree
Rosenkrantz about making some Wolfpack sails for >me).

Will do gladly...  (not contingent on the trunk ;-) .   I am currently
approaching a deadline on a sewing related project.  I anticipate completion
of it within a week give or take a day
or two.  I could make short order of it after then.

[...]

Goodie!  I like to see the evolution of a project.  Much more interesting
than just the end product.  Commentary is appreciated also.

sheree

(oh how I love my digital camera!).

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:12:25 GMT

sheree rosenkrantz wrote in message ...
Well begun Frank.  Off to conquer even more worlds (or should I say
themes?).   I can't figure out what  you moved  or packed away to make room
for this layout?

Oh, I've been conquering the Castle theme for some time (though I'm not even pretending to try and become castle complete -
actually, Pirates is the only significant theme I'm trying for completeness on, though as soon as my next S@H shipment arrives, I'll
be Rock Raiders complete [unless Kabaya has come out with a Rock Raiders set]).

I just cleared off my sorting/building table (the one next to the computer).

I forget . . .  is it under the computer desk where the Fabulous Fabuland
yellow trunk is archived?  You know it's not really the right scale for
castle and pirates .
I wouldn't want anything to marr the perfection of your creations present or
future.  ;-)  Maybe it would be best for you to remove this possibly
contaminating element from the premises...  Say about an hour and a half
away in a Western direction?

Oh, I've got lots of Fabuland parts already poluting my stuff...

Ah . . . to have such delightful problems!

Well, someone has to buy all those poor lonely sets...

The sea cave is going to be about 4 BURPs tall (about 25 bricks). The • castle basement will be just above that, so the >castle gate
will be more than 30 bricks off the ground. It will be tall enough for • small ships like 6057 or 6277 to enter (in fact, I'm >going to
make two 6277 style ships for the Wolfpack, I need to talk to Sheree
Rosenkrantz about making some Wolfpack sails for >me).

Will do gladly...  (not contingent on the trunk ;-) .   I am currently
approaching a deadline on a sewing related project.  I anticipate completion
of it within a week give or take a day
or two.  I could make short order of it after then.

I'll be off on vacation August 5-12, so we can talk after that. I've got two ideas on this. One is to duplicate the Wolfpack symbol
(but technically, that would be violating TLC's IP), my other thought is to get a wolf shape some other way (which is what I'm
inclined to do since I respect TLC's IP).

I'll probably have more pictures tonight

Goodie!  I like to see the evolution of a project.  Much more interesting
than just the end product.  Commentary is appreciated also.

Well, I may have bit off more that I can chew. Roofing over the huge sea cave is looking to be a problem. I'm also running into
problems with the way I set up the modular splits. There are some pretty tall bits which are only a couple studs wide. I also
started to think about all the other issues of getting the whole mountain tall enough. I may end up tearing the whole thing down,
and starting with a less grandiose plan (like reduce the sea cave to large enough for a rowboat, which was actually my original
idea - I was even thinking about some sort of opening skull like lots of the pirate sets use).

I'll definitely take pictures of my progress before I do any demolishing though. This certainly has been a learning experience. One
of the problems I ran into was that I was concentrating on building the road up, and not building the cliff face which rises above
the road at the same time. The result is that when I started to do that, I was building separate towers to support the cliff face,
and the whole thing was not sturdy (in fact, one of the modules kept breaking up every time I tried to move it - I did end up
re-building part of it to make a more integral structure). One problem I'm running into is there just aren't enough long bricks to
make sturdy open structures. I'd love to see 2x16 bricks in a variety of colors, and at a semi-reasonable price. Actually, even
larger bricks would be useful (like the 4x18 bricks which are used in the highway system - actually, if the support towers for the
highway system were available as a parts pack, they could be useful for building strong towers).

One of the limitations I see with LEGO is that the stud actually isn't tall enough when you get to large creations. It just becomes
too easy to pop bricks apart.

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - more pictures!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:30:15 GMT

Ok, as promised, I've got more pictures. I'm not sure whether I'll continue this project or abandon it. Read the older posts if you
want to find out more background. The pictures are at:

Commentary on the pictures (sorry about the mess in the backgrounds, my apartment is kind of cramped with LEGO):

01: This shows the initial layout of the cliff base. Note that it changes somewhat. I have also started the towers to support things
along the river. Note the 6057 parked in what will be a sea cave in the future.

02: Another view. Note that the right hand column of 32x64 with the river is removable, and the left front row of 64x16 containing
the cliff face and sea cave entrance is removable.

03: The bridge over the river is complete. The castle is buried in construction debris.

04: Minifig's view of the bridge (some later pictures will be a little better, I put a white cover in front of the Skull's Eye
Schooner.

05: Here the debris has been cleared.

06: Now the road is nearing completion, though the front section will be moved forward some in the next building spree. Note that
the sea cave entrance will be tall enough for the small ship from 6277 to sail through. The drawbridge will cross the sea cave
entrance.

Unfortunately I lost a few pictures of this stage of construction when the media for my camera got corrupted. The rest of the
pictures below show the current state of the construction.

07: Here's a frontal shot. Note that the cliff face on the right has moved forward. The black plate at the top used to be at the
back of the 64x16 section, now that BURP at the very top is between the black plate and the back of the 64x16 section. Also, the
64x16 section has been established as two 32x16 sections, the only connection will be the draw bridge. The left hand cliff face has
also been constructed. That top row of BURPs isn't actually finished yet.

08: A lower view. Note that with the white background, the bridge is easier to see.

09: This shows the right-hand cliff 32x16 section, the face on the left is the wall of the sea cave entrance.

10: The back of the left hand cliff face. The sea cave is lined with dark grey BURPs. The yellow is the left hand edge of the
creation and in theory would have more cliff extending it (but it is extremely doubtful that I will finish the cliff to the gory
end - I envision it to extend for miles).

11: A top view of the left hand cliff face. You can see the bracing. The 2x10 bricks connecting the two sets of BURPs adds
tremendous stability to the whole thing.

12: A front view of the left hand cliff face. The flat face on the right is the left hand wall of the sea cave entrance.

13: Another view of the right hand cliff face.

14: A backstage view of the right hand cliff face. Note the pins for connecting to the main module. You can see I wasn't too picky
about color coordination of the scaffolding. I had to tie those 2x4 columns together some to keep the whole thing from collapsing.

15: The river module. Note that some of the cliff face is only one stud thick. There used to be a pin up here, but it kept blowing
out the cliff when the module was plugged in or unplugged. This module now doesn't connect to the front cliff face module.

16: The right hand part of the main module. You can see that the cliff along the road has been started.

17: The main module and the river module.

18: The inside of the sea cave, looking at the small cave room off to the side. Note also the battlement for a defense post which
overlooks the sea cave. Access to the defense post will be from the cellar of the castle. The BURP sitting on the grey and black
stripes is a removable module to provide easy access to the cave room.

19: Now you can see what the cave room looks like with the block removed. Note the use of tiles. That red brick is hidden by the
removable block, so even if you crawled into the cave room, you wouldn't see it normally.

20: Frontal view of the current state.

21: Top view of the current state. Note that the stairs up from the sea cave have been started. The black column in the front will
support the roof of the sea cave. This is a major sticking point. The design of the sea cave is proving to be tricky, the span is
just too large, especially with the intention that the front module be able to be removed to provide easy access. Also, the stairs
are going to be a major production.

22: A view from the river side.

23: A view from behind (sorry about the foreground).

work-area: bonus shot of what my building area looks like in full swing of construction (though you can't see all the bags of parts
virtually covering the floor).

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - more pictures!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:25:08 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:
Ok, as promised, I've got more pictures. I'm not sure whether I'll continue
this project or abandon it.

By all means continue, looks cool so far.  I particurly like the picture where
there is more "narrative" at work -- as where the boat is coming out from
underneath the bridge.  Once you develop some characters, I'm sure it will be
a great addition to CW.

I didn't get the part about "TLC's IP" -- what does this mean?  I personally
feel VERY free to use their logos and symbols with impunity in my own
creations.

-- Richard

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - more pictures!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:59:52 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Ok, as promised, I've got more pictures. I'm not sure whether I'll continue this project or abandon it. Read the older posts if you
want to find out more background. The pictures are at:

It's looking good!  The use of tan really serves the model well, and it just screams defensibility as a castle site.  Hopefully we'll
see the battlements rise just like in the old days!

Just a question:  Are you going to mottle up that light grey cliff-face so it's not so uniform, using a few dkgrey bricks, a handful of
green bricks, and a few plant bits?  It might get the BURP feeling out of the rocks, and make it even more evocative of a cliff face.
(Or, eschew the green to keep it nice, dark, and foreboding.  Add dark grey falcons for bonus creepiness.)

As far as the sea cave, which is truly HUGE (you been watching too much "Goonies," or something?) isn't there some kind of flying
buttress method possible in LEGO?  Perhaps a LOT of half-arch pieces?  I saw the large black pillar (support?) and wonder if you could
widen the base a few studs and taper it in and out into a joined stalactite/stalagmite--that would be extremely cav-ey, and might still
give you the needed support.

Just a few thoughts.

best

LFB

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - more pictures!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:11:09 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:
Ok, as promised, I've got more pictures. I'm not sure whether I'll continue
this project or abandon it.

By all means continue, looks cool so far.  I particurly like the picture where
there is more "narrative" at work -- as where the boat is coming out from
underneath the bridge.  Once you develop some characters, I'm sure it will be
a great addition to CW.

Of course there's the minor detail that sailboats can't make it under
the bridge... 6057 is a _little_ shorter than the ship from 6277, but
only by a brick or two.

I didn't get the part about "TLC's IP" -- what does this mean?  I personally
feel VERY free to use their logos and symbols with impunity in my own
creations.

If you look at my postings over in lugnet.off-topic.debate, you'll
understand. I would actually feel more free if I were to make the sails
myself, but I am talking about commissioning someone else to make them.
That moves it from a personal use situation, to a selling a derrivative
of the logo.

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - more pictures!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:33:10 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

Ok, as promised, I've got more pictures. I'm not sure whether I'll continue this project or abandon it. Read the older posts if you
want to find out more background. The pictures are at:

It's looking good!  The use of tan really serves the model well, and it just screams defensibility as a castle site.  Hopefully we'll
see the battlements rise just like in the old days!

Yea, I'm very pleased with the river and bridge. In fact, even if I
abandon the huge sea cave idea, I'll still keep the bridge. I would have
liked to make the bridge narrower, but for the 6038 cart to be able to
cross it, the roadway needed to be at least 7 studs wide, more
comfortably 8 studs wide, so the entire bridge is 10 studs wide. I'd
love to have those arch pieces in a color other than white since the
white railing doesn't quite go with the Wolfpack, but I like the bridge.

Just a question:  Are you going to mottle up that light grey cliff-face so it's not so uniform, using a few dkgrey bricks, a handful of
green bricks, and a few plant bits?  It might get the BURP feeling out of the rocks, and make it even more evocative of a cliff face.
(Or, eschew the green to keep it nice, dark, and foreboding.  Add dark grey falcons for bonus creepiness.)

Oh definitely I'll be decorating up the cliff more. I wish the falcon
was available in white (sea gull), but yup, there will be a lot of dark
grey falcons roosting on the cliffs (it would be nifty if there was a
bird with outstretched wings also). The cave of course will have a
colony of bats...

As far as the sea cave, which is truly HUGE (you been watching too much "Goonies," or something?) isn't there some kind of flying
buttress method possible in LEGO?  Perhaps a LOT of half-arch pieces?  I saw the large black pillar (support?) and wonder if you could
widen the base a few studs and taper it in and out into a joined stalactite/stalagmite--that would be extremely cav-ey, and might still
give you the needed support.

I don't watch TV (I was going to say I've never seen Goonies, but
somehow I suspect I have). Yes, that sea cave is HUGE. It needs to be
that large for the ships to be able to fit into it. Yea, I could work on
the pillar to make it a natural column. I was also thinking of it as a
man made feature use to provide a bit of bracing for the cave. The
column is positioned to support one corner of a Scala 22x44 doll house
floor. The Scala floor actually would cover most of the sea cave (the
back of it would be supported by the back wall of the sea cave).

If I continue with this creation, I might have to invest in more tubs. I
packed away all the bricks last night, and realized I'm down to probably
just a hundred or so red 2x4 bricks (of course I've still got plenty of
other colors). Of course I could use BURPs for support columns (they can
be made into a fairly economical strong support, the left hand cliff
module is quite sturdy).

One of my biggest concerns is running out of bricks. It's amazing to
realize that for all of the size of my collection, this creation will
actually strain my brick collection. Building something like this gives
on an INCREDIBLE appreciation for Conan's collection (and soon Mike
Poindexter's - hey Mike, if you're reading this, when are we going to
see some pictures of your train modules, or have I somehow missed
them?). Fortunately the color scheme of Wolfpack castles is black walls
because I won't be surprised if I don't have much grey left after this.

I also want to do a bit of re-work of the road. Right now it's difficult
to have anything set up on most of the road (although a strategically
placed temporaty brick did allow me to put the cart on the road - I
really should have snapped a picture).

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 03:13:30 GMT

Ok, I decided to take a break from massive earth moving, and work up some characters, here they have all posed for the artist (who
is sitting on a flying carpet off the cliff face...):

From left to right, top row:

Karl Gundersson, commander of the , Vulf's brother

Vulf Gundersson, leader of the pack, the eldest.

Chandruth Firemaster, one of the best fire magicians in the North. One of Chandruth's accomplishments are the firecasters the Pack's
ship's are armed with. Note the use of a spider cape reversed (the spider is pretty well hidden). Note that Chandruth's seamstress
has monogrammed the inside of his cape...

Dirk Vulfson, Vulf's 13 year old son, Dirk is a crackshot with bow, and carry's a Black Radly (which is not in the picture - extra
credit for catching the reference).

From left to right, bottom row:

Helga, Vulf's wife. She's also a mean archer.

Kyla Vulfsdottir, Kristoff and Helga's 19 year old daughter, she is captain of The Red Vulf, one of the two ships Vulf's pack
commands.

Jorek Gundersson, the youngest brother, captain of The Black Vulf, the other ship under Vulf's forces. Jorek was seriously injured,
and lost many of his crew, when The Black Vulf was attacked by a sea dragon. Jorek singlehandledly dispatched the dragon.

Princess Dorianna. I'm not sure which faction she belongs to, but as I  was putting minifigs together, I remembered I wanted to try
out the Belville crown on indian hair (it has a pin on the bottom).

I should have used a grey backrgound for better viewing.

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:37:26 GMT

Missing is Vulf's eldest son, Lars.  No doubt he has left Castles and joined
Pirates.

Bruce

(there's a joke hiding in there somewhere)

In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:
Ok, I decided to take a break from massive earth moving, and work up some • characters, here they have all posed for the artist (who
is sitting on a flying carpet off the cliff face...):

From left to right, top row:

Karl Gundersson, commander of the , Vulf's brother

Vulf Gundersson, leader of the pack, the eldest.

Chandruth Firemaster, one of the best fire magicians in the North. One of • Chandruth's accomplishments are the firecasters the Pack's
ship's are armed with. Note the use of a spider cape reversed (the spider is • pretty well hidden). Note that Chandruth's seamstress
has monogrammed the inside of his cape...

Dirk Vulfson, Vulf's 13 year old son, Dirk is a crackshot with bow, and • carry's a Black Radly (which is not in the picture - extra
credit for catching the reference).

From left to right, bottom row:

Helga, Vulf's wife. She's also a mean archer.

Kyla Vulfsdottir, Kristoff and Helga's 19 year old daughter, she is captain of • The Red Vulf, one of the two ships Vulf's pack
commands.

Jorek Gundersson, the youngest brother, captain of The Black Vulf, the other • ship under Vulf's forces. Jorek was seriously injured,
and lost many of his crew, when The Black Vulf was attacked by a sea dragon. • Jorek singlehandledly dispatched the dragon.

Princess Dorianna. I'm not sure which faction she belongs to, but as I  was • putting minifigs together, I remembered I wanted to try
out the Belville crown on indian hair (it has a pin on the bottom).

I should have used a grey backrgound for better viewing.

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:32:39 GMT

(there's a joke hiding in there somewhere)

Reeeeeeeally? <grin>

Please clarify, I haven't been following .pirates *that* carefully; Frank-ly,
(1) I haven't been following much of lugnet carefully at all... I barely even
noticed I won CLSOTW... (2) ... just barely keeping up on .castle.

Which reminds me... nice job on the MOC, Frank! I like it. I suspect you won't
be having lack-of-brick problems, like moi, eh? <grin>

-Shiri (at least, I think so, I need so much sleep it's scary)

(1) Uh-oh... does this mean I get sent over to .pun? (3)

(2) OK, that was a lie ;-) ... but I *did* get email congratulations (two)
before I saw it for myself...

(3) "Say what?!"
Not that there's anything wrong with hanging out with Lind-say... what...
nothing at all... but... uh-oh, I blew it, didn't I?... <grin>

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:24:25 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:

(there's a joke hiding in there somewhere)

Reeeeeeeally? <grin>

Please clarify, I haven't been following .pirates *that* carefully; Frank-ly,
(1) I haven't been following much of lugnet carefully at all... I barely even
noticed I won CLSOTW... (2) ... just barely keeping up on .castle.

Which reminds me... nice job on the MOC, Frank! I like it. I suspect you won't
be having lack-of-brick problems, like moi, eh? <grin>

Oh, I don't know, I think it is quite possible that I will run out of
bricks on this creation. I'm already almost out of red 2x4 bricks, and I
have a lot more support superstructure to go (which will likely eat up
all the blue and yellow bricks).

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:30:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
(there's a joke hiding in there somewhere)

Reeeeeeeally? <grin>

Please clarify, I haven't been following .pirates *that* carefully; Frank-ly,
(1) I haven't been following much of lugnet carefully at all... I barely even
noticed I won CLSOTW... (2) ... just barely keeping up on .castle.

The Sea Wolf, by Jack London.  The central character being a ship captain
named Wolf Larson.

If Vulf has a son named Lar, he'd be Lars Vulfson.  I TOLD you the joke was
hiding (and perhaps should have stayed hidden).  :-)

Bruce

Which reminds me... nice job on the MOC, Frank! I like it. I suspect you won't
be having lack-of-brick problems, like moi, eh? <grin>

-Shiri (at least, I think so, I need so much sleep it's scary)

(1) Uh-oh... does this mean I get sent over to .pun? (3)

(2) OK, that was a lie ;-) ... but I *did* get email congratulations (two)
before I saw it for myself...

(3) "Say what?!"
Not that there's anything wrong with hanging out with Lind-say... what...
nothing at all... but... uh-oh, I blew it, didn't I?... <grin>

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:18:14 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:

Karl Gundersson, commander of the , Vulf's brother
Vulf Gundersson, leader of the pack, the eldest.
Chandruth Firemaster, one of the best fire magicians in the North. One of • Chandruth's accomplishments are the firecasters the Pack's
Dirk Vulfson, Vulf's 13 year old son, Dirk is a crackshot with bow, and
From left to right, bottom row:
Helga, Vulf's wife. She's also a mean archer.
Kyla Vulfsdottir, Kristoff and Helga's 19 year old daughter, she is captain of
Jorek Gundersson, the youngest brother, captain of The Black Vulf, the other

Hehehehehe, All I can think of is:

"Derrrr vas Karl Gunderson and Vulf Gunderson and Dirk Gunderson and Helga
Gunderson and Jorek Gunderson and Kyla Gunderson, and Gunder Gunderson? Yes, he
vas der tuuuuu."

:) :)  If you do't get the joke, go to:

http://phc.bach.mpr.org/performances/19991218/index.shtml

and listen to time index 08:12

--Karim

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 02:50:46 GMT

Ok, more pictures here:

Kyla Vulfsdottir, Jorek Gundersson, Karl Gundersson, Rolf (the standard bearer)

Vulf Gundersson, Helga, Dirk Vulfson

Chandruth Firemaster, a pair of wolfmen.

Please go ahead and add me to Castle World. I'm not sure if Vulf is my sigfig or not yet, but please add a link to clan Vulf.

Frank

CORRECTIONS: Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 02:52:57 GMT

Frank Filz wrote in message ...
Ok, I decided to take a break from massive earth moving, and work up some characters, here they have all posed for the artist (who
is sitting on a flying carpet off the cliff face...):

From left to right, top row:

Karl Gundersson, commander of the , Vulf's brother

Vulf Gundersson, leader of the pack, the eldest.

Chandruth Firemaster, one of the best fire magicians in the North. One of Chandruth's accomplishments are the firecasters the • Pack's
ship's are armed with. Note the use of a spider cape reversed (the spider is pretty well hidden). Note that Chandruth's seamstress
has monogrammed the inside of his cape...

Dirk Vulfson, Vulf's 13 year old son, Dirk is a crackshot with bow, and carry's a Black Radly (which is not in the picture - extra
credit for catching the reference).

From left to right, bottom row:

Helga, Vulf's wife. She's also a mean archer.

Helga's full name is Helga Kendriksdottir.

Kyla Vulfsdottir, Kristoff and Helga's 19 year old daughter, she is
                   ^^^^^^^^
                   Oops - that should be Vulf

captain of The Red Vulf, one of the two ships Vulf's pack
commands.

Jorek Gundersson, the youngest brother, captain of The Black Vulf, the other ship under Vulf's forces. Jorek was seriously injured,
and lost many of his crew, when The Black Vulf was attacked by a sea dragon. Jorek singlehandledly dispatched the dragon.

Princess Dorianna. I'm not sure which faction she belongs to, but as I  was putting minifigs together, I remembered I wanted to try
out the Belville crown on indian hair (it has a pin on the bottom).

I should have used a grey backrgound for better viewing.

Frank

Re: My first Castle MOC has been started - characters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 03:02:25 GMT

Please go ahead and add me to Castle World. I'm not sure if Vulf is my sigfig • or not yet, but please add a link to clan Vulf.

Frank

Sure thing, Frank!  Just lemme know when you decide on a sigfig.
-Chris