 Castle / 16172
Re: The Village of Dahyart version 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:57:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:
Wow Anthony! Talk about a step up.. this is really a great update to the
village.  The main street, with offset buildings and small "alley-ways".. this
really has that medieval look.  I was thinking the other day of doing a new
village, but I always have the problem of how to break up the ugly main road
aesthetic that pervades lego village building.. i think this is a solution!

the little 'alcoves' (where the buildings tend to face eachother rather than
the road) look like family home.. ie. grandpa builds the first house, and then
father builds another one next to it, but offset a little, and son does the
same, but on the other side etc etc.  This is the thing I love : 'large-scale
detail' .. a big design element (offseting the buildings) that suggests
something personal and detailed.  great.

Thanks much!  Glad you enjoyed it so much.  It was a lot of fun putting all the
detail into my MOC, which I now realize I had not put much pride into.
Offsetting the buildings were a challenge though, since they're not on plates
and they don't all have the same footprint.

question: how did you offset the buildings?

I used 1x1 round plates to lift and angle the buildings.  I know there is a set
mathematic to it, but since my buildings don't have a floor, I couldn't quite
take advantage of it.  I simply had to pick a corner of the building and place
the 1x1 plate on it.  Then I had to place the building down and rotate it and
see where I could place a second plate and a third and so forth.  For the one
story, tudor style building next to my barn thing, I placed four 1x1 round
plates underneath it.  It was so much trouble that I fudged and for the two
buildings that form the alcove, I only went so far as place two 1x1 plates
underneath two corners, and held up the rest of the bulding with tiles.

I know someone posted a very thorough and scientific way of doing this, but my
way is just guesswork.

great stuff.. can't wait to read the chapter about Dahyart!
-Lenstu'u

Again, Thanks much!  I hope that particular chapter won't disappoint.  And
thanks for the reply!

--Anthony