 Castle / 16198
Re: The Village of Dahyart version 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 06:19:03 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Anthony Sava writes:
After reading the very helpful constructive criticism I recieved, and after
reviewing my recent village MOC, I decided to redesign it.  So... I did.

Hello Antony,

That is just the sort of organic fuzzyness I had in mind when i made the
suggestion. You did it very well. On top of this, the added vegetation and
details largely contribute to the improvement as well. I'm pleased that you
took this effort, the pictures shows you realy enjoyed doing the makeover.

Thanks much!  And boy howdy, did I!  I really hadn't put much pride into this
MOC until I redesigned it.  I'm actually a little ashamed I didn't put as much
effort into it the first time.

I used 1x1 round plates to lift and angle the buildings.  I know there is a
set mathematic to it, but since my buildings don't have a floor, I couldn't
quite take advantage of it.  I simply had to pick a corner of the building
and place the 1x1 plate on it.  Then I had to place the building down and
rotate it and see where I could place a second plate and a third and so >forth.

It actually is the plain old rule of Phytagoras, but with a small twist:

place a 1x1 round plate, count from this plate 4 studs horizontal and 3
studs vertical and place a 1x1 round plate again. The diagonal between the
two studs from center to center is exactly 5 studs long, which means that
you can match a 6x1 brick or plate on them (5 studs + 2x half a stud
"overshoot" for both ends of the plate/brick extending past the center of
the 1x1 round plates, makes 6 studs long) This need for adding a 1 stud
"overshoot" has a high potential for confusing people.

Here are the first four pythagorean combinations that match:

3 -  4 -  5  for brick/plate length 6
5 - 12 - 13  for brick/plate length 14
8 - 15 - 17  for brick/plate length 18
7 - 24 - 25  for brick/plate length 26

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Wow, thanks for this.  I've already gone back and reenforced my buildings to
get them to stick better to the ground.  I'd have offset more buildings had I
not run out of 1x1 round plates.

Thanks for the reply!

--Anthony