 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 425
Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:36:15 GMT

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> writes:

Selective rendering of parts based upon the animation clock value or
something like that?

Yeah, you got it!  I used the POV-Ray clock to make an animation a year
ago, so I learned a bit about it.  I'm sure you've all seen it before:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/space/

If I get the time, I'm planning to make another animation, but don't
hold your breath!  ;-)

Cool, I didn't know POVRay could do that.  Is it a preprocessor
macro thingy, or something else?

It's the POV-Ray language, really.  It's actually quite powerful, albeit
a bit awkward to use.

I was thinking, however, more along the lines of being able to adjust
the camera angle for individual steps after POV generation but before
rendering.

Oooh!  That can be done too, you know, but it will take more work.
Simple use the clock trick with the camera statement, and change it in
the steps where you need to have the model turned.

It shouldn't be too difficult.  You can use L3P to generate additional
camera statements if you are unsure about them.  Give L3P the arguments
you want (the viewing angles) and cut out the relevant portion of the
POV-Ray file to include in appropriate #if and #end statements.  And
Bob's your uncle!

Fredrik