 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 414
  anyone interested in rendering for me?

Hi All, I'm from over on the .train group and I have recently created some instructions for a few train MOCs. The steps are in place in the DAT file but my POV skills are a bit lax. I tried to render and I don't have enough experience in placing (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) What would be better is if there were a utility to help automate POVRAY rendering of MOC instruction books, kinda like what LDraw Add-On does for LDLite instruction renderings. Steve, do you know how much change LDAO would need in order to do (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) Actually, it shouldn't take much change to LDAO. Just an additional loop to spit out a DAT file for each step, then use L3P to translate it, and POV-Ray to render it. Steve (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) Sweet! Since POV renderings take a while, and that you'd need a POV for each step anyway, I'm wondering if all the L3P output could be saved, e.g. STEP0001.POV, STEP0002.POV, etc. Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) It is much more sane to use POV-Ray's animation system to do this automatically. That way, you could issue one POV-Ray command and render all the instruction steps in one run, using only one POV-file. I have suggested this to Lars C Hassing, (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) Selective rendering of parts based upon the animation clock value or something like that? Cool, I didn't know POVRay could do that. Is it a preprocessor macro thingy, or something else? I was thinking, however, more along the lines of being (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) I suppose some of you may want to try this out, so do something like this with your POV-Ray file, as generated by L3P. Identify the portion of the file where the "0 STEP" lines are present and add #if and #end statements like this: // [DAT (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) Yeah, you got it! I used the POV-Ray clock to make an animation a year ago, so I learned a bit about it. I'm sure you've all seen it before: (URL) I get the time, I'm planning to make another animation, but don't hold your breath! ;-) (...) (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) Yeah, and the docs aren't the best, either. Do you know of any decent tutorials for the 3.1 language? Online or book would be great, but all I've seen is stuff for 3.0... Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) The main file for, say, SKETCH.DAT, shows up as a union block named sketch_dot_dat. I suppose that a post-l3p tool could just read in the POV output file and parse this union and insert the clock-checking logic. The same tool could also spit (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) I've simply used the POV-Ray 3.1 manual, which has a tutorial on most major features, and a nice reference. It can be gotten from (URL) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

(...) Yes, this should be perfectly appropriate. Perl would be a good tool to do this. Of course, it makes more sense to do this conversion in L3P to start with... If we can persuade Lars to do it! On the other hand, I don't like using POV-Ray to (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

Well... I know it's been a while... Anyway, it seems that you guys picked up on it and now the answer is easy 'cause -sc "#if (clock > n)" has been added to L3PAO. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. However I'm having trouble with telling POV-Win to (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

steve barile wrote... (...) Try adding the follwing to QUICKRES.INI located in C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.1\renderer [320x240, No AA, 10 Frames] Width=320 Height=240 Antialias=Off Initial_Clock=1.0 Final_Clock=10.0 Final_Frame=10 Then (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Can LDAO do this? (was: anyone interested in rendering for me?)

Thanks for the reply. After some research and plowing thru the POV manual I experimented with adding simular lines to the main pov.ini file and got the results I was looking for. It would certainly be nice if Jeff Boen (of L3PAO fame) added the (...) (22 years ago, 24-Nov-01, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev)