Re: LDconfig.ldr - missing colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 08:34:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Joshua Delahunty wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
I remember the time when we were graving for those figures and now that we have
them I simply ignore them. Can anyone put some light on this? LSC?

I'm pretty sure that the (2006-2007?) LSC agreed to leave the contents of
ldconfig.ldr up to the LDraw part admins.  We saw it as our job to specify the
format of the !COLOUR meta-command, but not to have anything to do with the
actual list of colors.

Hmm ... I found some sources how the colors are defined:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11937

and it looks like LDraw colors http://www.ldraw.org/Article93.html still refer
to a color chart which was defined long before we got our hands on the official
LEGO colors at http://www.peeron.com/inv/colors and are the reason why our
values differ. Question is: Do we still define the colors the way we do because
of compatibility with LDraw 0.27?

Could Joshua's file http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=14408 hop in - taking for
granted that a year is enough time to write it ;-)

I wrote it, finished it about a month ago.

But I had a great deal of trouble trying to work in the official numbers into
the LDRAW numbering system.  Since there would be no consensus on how to add the
"missing" color values (and that number of colors outnumbers what's currently
included), I didn't want to try to open a can of worms by defining them myself.

For the time being, I've used all the official numbers, plus 30000 (so 30001 is
TLG white, 30002 is TLG grey, etc.) in the ldconfig.ldr that I use; plus I
upgraded the RGB of the existing colors to use the TLG values.

If anyone wants that file, I can put it up on the web for sharing.

     -- joshua

Hi Joshua,

please post. Could you be a bit more specific about the problems with the LDRAW
numbering system?

If guess the bit-mapping http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11937 was a requirement
for backwards compatibility with LDraw which is obsolete now giving room to new
solutions. Read: www.ldraw.org/Article299.html

CODE x - The LDraw color code. For LDraw compatibility, x is an integer 0-511.
If strict LDraw compatibility is not required, x is any identifier recognized by
a rendering program as a color code. Code is a required element.

w.