Re: LDconfig.ldr - missing colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:31:18 GMT

This is an area that I took interest in several months back.  Most of the Peeron
or Bricklink color values do not display well when they are rendered on the
screen.  Most of the LDRAW colors are a different value, so that the rendered
color looks like the real color.

Is the rendering process altering the color value, or are the light sources
altering the rendered appearance of the color?

In either case, I think that LDRAW needs to somehow match the color properties
from those of Bricklink.  The Bricklink database is almost always the first to
be updated with new parts / colors, and is usually very accurate.

This is an area that I still have interest in, and I would like to help in any
way.  I have already written a program to convert a text based color file (like
the ldconfig.ldr) to the MLCAD.cfg binary format, so that I can test different
color values and edge values.  I have also written a program to retrieve the
Bricklink color properties and save them in a formatted text file.

I'll probably think more about this latter on in the week, but please let me
know if there is anything that I can do to help.
Scott