Re: LDconfig.ldr - missing colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:20:15 GMT

Sorry for the late response.  I have placed the program and source code in a zip
file here:
http://www.scottwardlaw.com/lego/converter.zip

The colors.txt file contains an up to date list of all of the colors from
Peeron, Bricklink, and LDRAW.  I think there are 119 total.

Some notes about the colors.txt file:
1) It is formatted in fixed column widths for human and computer readablity.
2) Ignore the last column.  I had hoped to consolodate the color properties, but
some colors have multiple properties; ie (translucent and glow-in-the-dark)
3) The edge is a full color value, so that it can be any color and reduces the
dependency on the color code.
4) The color values are from mixed sources and are not what LDRAW should use.
The program was built to use these values as a starting point to getting
well-rendered color values.
5) The color codes are not all correct.  I used the LDRAW color codes whenever
possible, but had to create my own codes for colors that LDRAW did not have.
6) The order these colors are in will be the order they are placed in MLCAD.cfg.

Some notes on the converter.exe:
1) It must be in the same folder as the colors.txt file
2) It will ask you the color code for the color that you are working on and will
place this color first in the MLCAD.cfg file for your convienence.
3) It will create the MLCAD.cfg file with the first 119 colors according to the
colors.txt file.  Colors 128 to 247 are the edge colors from the colors.txt
file.  The remaining colors are not used.

Lastly, if you change the order of colors or change color values, you will only
see that change in MLCAD.  When you create a model, the model is only created
with color codes; not your color values.  MLCAD writes the model with the color
code associated with the order of the colors.  It does not keep record of the
color code read from the colors.txt file.

I would love to see all LDRAW programs use a new version of the LDconfig.ldr, so
that it would be the only location of color codes to color values.

Does anyone have a list of programs that do / do not use LDconfig.ldr?
I know that BrickStore and MLCAD use their own internal representation of this
file, but do not read LDconfig.ldr.

Thanks,
Scott