Re: LDconfig.ldr - missing colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 00:51:12 GMT

"Willy Tschager" <willy.tschager@tin.it> wrote in message
news:K6D96D.Ews@lugnet.com...
Hi gang,

playing around with colors I was floored by the fact that we do not have a
LDraw
color number or RGBs for quite a lot of LEGO colors. In addition our RGBs
sometimes differ a lot from the official colors:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/colors
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/colorguide.cgi

I remember the time when we were graving for those figures and now that we
have
them I simply ignore them. Can anyone put some light on this? LSC?

I don't know about the whole color thing but your post makes me think of an
interesting point.  Just how exactly is LDRAW supposed to handle displaying
the Glitter Trans Clear color, and similar ones like it?  I believe even
handling the Pearl color variations would be difficult, requiring a rewrite
of how LDRAW itself handles these colors, especially since it was never
intended to display complex color variations in the first place.

It was originally written when the basic colors were pretty basic, and
doesn't really have programming designed to access the screen resolutions it
would need to handle very hard to display colors.

If LDRAW has to handle the new color variations, this would mean a color
numeration enhancement to the basic LDRAW specification would have to be
drawn up.

I can see this would entail having to majorly reengineer the original LDRAW
program, which, I think from memory wasn't possible due to issues with the
distribution rights to the LDRAW source code and having to get permission
from James Jessiman's family to make needed changes.

One could, of course, make a whole new LDRAW-like main program, the issue
then would be that no money could be charged, since it might be seen as a
derivative works if it had to understand the original LDRAW specification.
However, if the LDRAW community is used to giving free stuff without charge,
then this might not be the obstacle it seems.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde