Re: LDconfig.ldr - missing colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:44:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I don't know about the whole color thing but your post makes me think of an
interesting point.  Just how exactly is LDRAW supposed to handle displaying
the Glitter Trans Clear color, and similar ones like it?  I believe even
handling the Pearl color variations would be difficult, requiring a rewrite
of how LDRAW itself handles these colors, especially since it was never
intended to display complex color variations in the first place.

Take a look at the !COLOUR spec here:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article299.html

Pearlescent is covered, along with rubber, chrome, matte metallic, and metal.
Glitter transparency isn't, and probably should be.  Of course, just because
official LDraw colors can be defined with these attributes doesn't mean that any
programs actually display them.  LDView pays attention to rubber and maybe
chrome and metal.  It ignores the other material definitions.  (With chrome and
metal, I know that when I'm not parsing ldconfig.ldr, I have special behavior
for chrome silver, chrome gold, and metallic silver; I can't remember if I have
special behavior when I see those tags, though.)

--Travis