 CAD / 14408
Re: colors completeness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:24:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Lutz Uhlmann wrote:
Hi,

Hi Lutz, most excellent to see some questions from you; it's been a long time
since we've conversed.

I have some questions about all those colors.
I am using BrickSmith on Mac, I do not know if MLCAD does offer more colors.
Bricksmith is missing the newer transparent dark orange and medium blue colors
and some rarely used solid ones as bluish light grey, maersk blue, medium blue,
light lime, very light orange, flesh tones.

I did a model containing all colors in BrickSmith:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LGEO/colors/picture_3.png

you can download the model file:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LGEO/colors/colors.ldr

Exported with L3P and the LGEO option, it renders like this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LGEO/colors/colors.png

Lost by the conversion are the pearl colors (upper corner), new bluish greys and
reddish brown. very light grey becomes chrome silver and dark orange renders
chrome gold.

Is there any comittee organizing colors? I think we should have a list where
each color ever produced (best source for color catalog is BrickLink, I think)
is assigned to a color number? This would help programmers of the CAD programs
as the users when using more uncommon colors. (Ok, the discussion of color names
itself is an issue of its own...)

The LDRAW "group" (if you will) has created a color standard in ldconfig.ldr, a
text file describing common settings to be used by LDRAW utilities (the color
table, at this point). So far, few programs have supported it, with L3P and
LDView being notable exceptions.

MLCAD and LeoCAD being too applications that (IMHO) sorely need support.

I was getting ready to add support for it to ldglite* when I found LDView, and
haven't looked back.  I would have recommended LDView to you for your (separate)
instruction-step query, but LDView doesn't (yet) support STEPs in models, it's
an all or nothing viewer.  Other than that, it's extremely full featured
(including possible overkill in some areas -- Stereo imagery, for instance
:wink:)  It's replaced ldglite for me for all tasks.

Anyway, back to ldconfig.ldr...

A bit more info can be found here:
http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=299

and here:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/mlcad/?n=2162

But basically it's an external way to define how colors are named and used.
I am currently working on a version of ldconfig.ldr that has the official
numbers (where they don't conflict with existing numbers), names, and RGB
values.  I should be done in the next week or so, and I'll see about convincing
the ldraw.org folks to host it as an "alternative" ldconfig.ldr file. (Either
way, I'll be hosted it next to my color chart doc at
http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~dulcaoin/LEGO/LEGO-Color-Chart.pdf)

I really wish a comment indicator such as // had been added to the format, but I
haven't seen one; that would have allowed some nice commentary when I changed
names to match LDRAW usage, but I haven't such a syntax presented.

Hopefully, this will address some of your issues?  The next steps would be
getting ldconfig.ldr support into MLCAD and LeoCAD.

     -- joshua

* not that I'm in any way in charge of ldglite; this would have been a side
personal project