 CAD / 14416
Re: colors completeness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 20:01:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Joshua Delahunty wrote:

I was getting ready to add support for it to ldglite* when I found LDView, and
haven't looked back.  I would have recommended LDView to you for your (separate)
instruction-step query, but LDView doesn't (yet) support STEPs in models, it's
an all or nothing viewer.  Other than that, it's extremely full featured
(including possible overkill in some areas -- Stereo imagery, for instance
:wink:)  It's replaced ldglite for me for all tasks.

Actually, in conjunction with Bricksmith's "Export Steps" option, LDView could
be used to render each step (since each step is exported as a separate file). As
recently discussed here, it is possible to run the current version of LDView on
your Mac, too - but that's a work in progress.

Then I would definitely recommend LDView for the rendering chain.  I've recently
used it to create a set of part images (as I used to use ldglite) for the entire
library, and they are FAN-TAB-u-Glorious!

Travis has been very helpful, and even added some features to the UNRELEASED*
3.2 (which is unreleased, has no announced release date, and still "in Alpha"
status) I asked for, with a day's turn-around.  Fixed some defects I've found,
too.  I can't praise LDView enough...

I really wish a comment indicator such as // had been added to the format, but I
haven't seen one; that would have allowed some nice commentary when I changed
names to match LDRAW usage, but I haven't such a syntax presented.

Technically, doesn't "0" mark an LDraw comment anyway? Of course, it is used for
all kinds of meta commands and standard header fields, but if you place the
comment after any headers and start it with something that's not a meta command
- such as "//" - shouldn't that be valid?

I wanted something for end-of-line comments, rather than having to place
comments every-other-line (which is what I ended up doing -- I've spent some
time on this project today after posting that it was forthcoming)

something like...

0 !COLOUR Black    CODE 0 VALUE #1b234 EDGE 0 // TLG: 26

which would show that the TLG code for Black is 26 (the LDRAW code is 0)

instead, I had to (I believe) go with:

0 TLG: 26
0 !COLOUR Black                          CODE   0  VALUE #1b2a34  EDGE 0
0 TLG: 23
0 !COLOUR Bright_Blue                    CODE   1  VALUE #0d69a8  EDGE 0

(bleh)

     -- joshua

* SCREAMED to make it clear there's no LDView 3.2 downloadable yet, so no one
wastes time looking.