 CAD / 14407
Re: colors completeness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:07:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Lutz Uhlmann wrote:

   Hi,

I have some questions about all those colors. I am using BrickSmith on Mac, I do not know if MLCAD does offer more colors. Bricksmith is missing the newer transparent dark orange and medium blue colors and some rarely used solid ones as bluish light grey, maersk blue, medium blue, light lime, very light orange, flesh tones.

I think it would be nice if Bricksmith read the ldconfig.ldr file to load color definitions, or if it offered a pane in the preferences or color picker to define new colors. Best of all, if it had an interface like that to read and update ldconfig.ldr.

   I did a model containing all colors in BrickSmith: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LGEO/colors/picture3.png

you can download the model file: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LGEO/colors/colors.ldr

Exported with L3P and the LGEO option, it renders like this: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LGEO/colors/colors.png

Lost by the conversion are the pearl colors (upper corner), new bluish greys and reddish brown. very light grey becomes chrome silver and dark orange renders chrome gold.

I’ve noticed the same problem when trying to render some of my models, where L3P does not recognize the newer color code and uses default gray instead. Unless it is possible to make L3P read ldconfig.ldr as well, I think the only solution is to replace the color codes it doesn’t know with hexadecimal color specifications. For example, replace 134 (Pearl Copper) with 0x02938767, where 938767 is the RRGGBB color for Pearl Copper defined in ldconfig.ldr and 0x02 is the opaque prefix described in this post (0x03 gives transparent colors). I use this format to get truecolor in Bitsticker. I have also considered writing a filter script to translate any of these unknown color codes to hex colors so that they can be rendered accurately with L3P and POVray.

Incidentally, have you noticed that only parts listed earlier in the file are visible through transparent parts in Bricksmith? I’m not sure if this is conventional LDraw behavior or if it is just due to how Bricksmith renders things, but when possible I have started putting transparent parts (such as canopies and windows) as the last parts in the file just so I can be sure to see everything through them. I posted simple examples here and here.

   Is there any comittee organizing colors? I think we should have a list where each color ever produced (best source for color catalog is BrickLink, I think) is assigned to a color number? This would help programmers of the CAD programs as the users when using more uncommon colors. (Ok, the discussion of color names itself is an issue of its own...)

I think this is a good point. I like to use actual part colors as much as possible when modeling in LDraw, but I’ve found the support for different colors to vary from tool to tool. Something like ldconfig.ldr seems like a good place to make standard colors definition that can be updated regularly without requiring separate program updates. In fact it is described in the color extension specification, so it seems like a reasonable basis for this idea. If support for this file is widespread (I’m not sure if it is), I suppose the question is how are additions to this file approved and distributed? Perhaps this is answered elsewhere, but I ask in order to emphasize Lutz’ point that in reality there is a lot of variation in how colors (as hue definitions - I’m not so concerned with names) are handled throughout the LDraw system.

Jim