 CAD / 16719
Re: LPub 4 Callouts (and other questions)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:08:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Eric Albrecht wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
OK, here goes.
When an assembly is too large to fit on the page, LPub crops the image.
When one drags the assembly image to another position LPub does not redraw
the image.
See:
http://www.binarybricks.nl/test/redraw.html

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant.  I do instructions for multi thousand
part models, so it is quite common for the assembly not to fit on the page.
The workaround I have used so far is to make my own custom assembly images
from LView and them manually put them in the final PDF file.  That's what I
did <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=381742 here>.

In the case of L3P and POV-Ray, there was the ability for look at coordinates
so that you could control what is the center of the viewed image.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Both LDView and ldglite have ways
to share the coordinates used for a particular viewpoint.  Something like
this:

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/ldglitepov.html

Or do you just want a way to set the "look at" point on the command line.
I believe that's also available in both programs.

If such a mechanism were to exist in LDView and LDGLite, LPub could support
that.  This combined with the renderers cropping the image to a known size,
would meet your needs.

I certainly understand the need.  Imagine trying to do building instructions
for 25 foot buildings.  Adam Tucker asked me about this issue years ago at
the event that became Brickworld.

Kevin

LPub knows what parts are added at each step.  LPub could find the min/max
locations of all parts added and have the look at coordinate be (min_x+max_x)/2,
(min_y+max_y)/2, (min_z+max_z)/2.  This would give a general idea of where to
look.

One question is, though can I do this all the time, or should I do it as a
special case?  LPub always find the min/max (for all dimensions) for the parts
in the model, and then centers the model on (min_x+max_x)/2, (min_y+max_y)/2,
(min_z+max_z)/2.  Maybe now I center it on the "center" of the added parts.

I'll have to play with it and see what I can come up with.  I've been away from
LPub for a while and it is hard to ramp back up, but that portion of the code is
pretty straightforward.

Kevin