 CAD / 16416
16415  |  16417
Subject:
Colors in POV-Ray 3.7 Beta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:14:35 GMT

If you render LDView’s POV output using the POV-Ray 3.7 beta release, you will see that the colors all look washed out. This seems to be due to a difference in the way that POV-Ray 3.7 handles gamma correction. There are two things that you need to do to fix this:
  • Add Display_Gamma=1 to your command line options (there’s a box in the toolbar in the Windows version for setting command line options). This should fix the colors in the preview window, but not the output file.
  • Create an include file that contains the following line and set that include file as the top include in LDView’s POV export settings:
global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.2 }

Note that you can just manually paste that into the top of your file, but that gets old pretty fast. Also, if you already have a top include, just add the above line to it.

I’m not sure what the long-term solution to this problem is. POV-Ray 3.7 gives a warning that it doesn’t support the assumed_gamma setting, and yet the setting still has the desired effect.

Thanks go to John Winning for info on the assumed_gamma setting.

--Travis Cobbs