 Announcements / 4003

Subject:
*** LDView Version 4.1 Beta 1 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2009 04:48:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LDView 4.1 Beta 1 is now available for download from the LDView downloads page here:

http://ldview.sourceforge.net/Downloads.html

This is a Beta release, which means that I’m hoping to get as much feedback as possible. This also means that it is likely not as stable as a final release, so you probably don’t want to try it out if you absolutely hate using buggy software.

Some notable changes:
  • Curve smoothing in POV-Ray exports.
  • Customizable toolbar on Windows and Mac versions.
  • Highlight geometry selected in the Model Tree.
  • 3D-Studio exporting (needs more work).
  • Updated Linux version to Qt 4.5.
Please see the full change history here.

Please send any bugs, suggestions, or other feedback to ldview@gmail.com. As mentioned above, the main reason for this release is to get feedback so that the official release will be as high-quality as possible.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)

Re: *** LDView Version 4.1 Beta 1 Released ***
Sorry, I forgot to post the original announcement to lugnet.cad. Please see lugnet.announce for the full announcement.

--Travis

Re: *** LDView Version 4.1 Beta 1 Released ***
Sorry, I forgot to post the original announcement to lugnet.cad.  Please see
lugnet.announce for the full announcement.

--Travis

Looks great! Could you configure your program to take over some of the
functions of LDBoxer?

http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/ldboxer/ldboxer.htm

It would be great to be able to export a minimal file that can later be
converted to 3DS or OBJ.

-Mike

Re: *** LDView Version 4.1 Beta 1 Released ***
Sorry, I forgot to post the original announcement to lugnet.cad.
Please see
lugnet.announce for the full announcement.

--Travis

Looks great! Could you configure your program to take over some of the
functions of LDBoxer?

http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/ldboxer/ldboxer.htm

It would be great to be able to export a minimal file that can later be
converted to 3DS or OBJ.

-Mike

Also, I'm having trouble importing exported 3DS models into Blender. Any
ideas?

-Mike

Re: *** LDView Version 4.1 Beta 1 Released ***
Sorry, I forgot to post the original announcement to lugnet.cad.
Please see
lugnet.announce for the full announcement.

--Travis

Looks great! Could you configure your program to take over some of the
functions of LDBoxer?

http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/ldboxer/ldboxer.htm

I do understand the utility, but integrating that functionality into LDView
would be a pretty big project, and I don't think it's something I'm going to do.

It would be great to be able to export a minimal file that can later be
converted to 3DS or OBJ.

-Mike

Also, I'm having trouble importing exported 3DS models into Blender. Any
ideas?

I'm using a 3rd-part library to generate the 3DS files, and for reasons that I
haven't yet been able to determine, Blender doesn't like the 3DS files being
generated.  I do hope to solve this problem, but until I can figure out what it
is about the files that Blender doesn't like, I'm not going to have any luck
doing so.

The library does come with a sample program that converts 3DS files into
Wavefront .OBJ format, and Blender seems much happier with these files.  If you
want this program, send me an email and I'll send it to you.  (I haven't read
its license, so I'm not sure I can just post a link.)

--Travis

Re: *** LDView Version 4.1 Beta 1 Released ***
The library does come with a sample program that converts 3DS files into
Wavefront .OBJ format, and Blender seems much happier with these files.  If you
want this program, send me an email and I'll send it to you.  (I haven't read
its license, so I'm not sure I can just post a link.)

--Travis

Thanks, I'll try that.

-Mike

Re: *** LDView Version 4.1 Beta 1 Released ***