 Trains / Train Organizations / 349
Re: No LEGOFest...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 00:52:37 GMT

Here in Australia, Lego Trains are a joke.
Seeing this thread made me register from my Work PC.

The newest Offering from Lego (the blue thing that isnt sure of what it is
exactly) costs RRP of $350 from Lego themselves, the cheapest I've seen is on
a Internet Retailer for $290. Australian Prices that is, so roughly speaking,
the Lego RRP for the train is about US$200, is this how much it costs there?

Boxes of track are about $25~$30 here, and a set of points will set aside $60.
The only retail outlet I've seen selling track is toys R us, I haven't seen
trains being sold anywhere lately.

And as far as I know, nothing else is available, no stations, no extra wagons,
heck I don't even know if we can get spare motors (they'd be about $90 I
believe)

Over the past 6 years or so, My train collection has only been increased by
the addition of 1 9V set, maybe 4 packs of tracks. All other lego money has
gone towards town sets or anyhting else taking my fancy.

The formation of a Lego Club is barely happening here in Australia, let alone
a Lego Trains Club. It's nice to see whats going on in the other parts of the
world. And I suppose all I'd like from any new Lego ventures is to have the
same range of products as everywere else at a price that you don't need to
take out mortgages to afford.

Is lego the only company that actually won't sell what customers want?

In lugnet.trains.org, Jonathan Wilson writes:

Robin Werner wrote:

All,

The GFLTC was going to organize a LEGOFest at the H & R spring show(1), but
it’s not going to happen. I met with the owners of H & R Trains for more • than
an hour. I showed them my plans for the event and they thought it was great
idea, but there is one big problem! They don’t sell LEGO products in their
store any more and don’t want to promote them. It seems that TLC won’t sell
them train track or accessories, only the one starter set. They have tried • to
work it out with TLC people (upper management) for years with no success. • They
returned their stock to TLC and told them that they will not sell their
products if they don't support retailers. And it’s not just the little • shops,
a friend of theirs they met at last weeks toy fair that is with Target can’t
get track either. The Target rep seed that they probably wont sell LEGO • trains
much longer. The H & R people claim they really like LEGO trains, but not • the
TLC people that market them.

H & R Trains still would love to have us(GFLTC) at the show but wish we • used a
different type of trains in our display.

I bet if H & R trains sold LEGO trains. They would sell more LEGO trains at
the show than the LEGO store in Orlando sells in one year.

(1) H & R Trains is one of the southeast largest hobby train stores with a
large stock of model trains. They have two train shows a year with model
railroaders and manufactures with no flee-market style table sales, just
layouts and it’s free to the public.

I wish LEGO would stop going backwards! And market all train sets in stores,
design better train model, add more 9V accessories (remote points, lights,
parts, etc.) and stop this crap!  S@H and LEGO Direct are not enough! The
public needs to see this stuff in stores for it to become mainstream and not
just a novelty.

Thanks for your time, just my two cents...

Robin Werner
Greater Florida LEGO Train Club
http://members.xoom.com/gfltc

The same thing happens here in australia. The only stores that I have seen • around
here that have track are the toyworld in fremantle and the TRU in the city. • The
toyworld has all the track, except for the crossing in large numbers and also • the
current train set. The TRU does not carry the train set and looks like they • are
not activly gettign the track. The toyworld is also the only place I have • seen the
new larger 2000 sets (such as 6600), the 8448 supercar and other massive sets,
including the current train set.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com