 Trains / Train Organizations / 318
Re: Bright Future for LEGO Trains? (was Re:No LEGOFest...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 09:33:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:
Really?  I couldn't disagree more.  I think the theme Trains could easily • eclipse
all other themes combined.  If it can catch on as an accepted hobby among • model
railroaders, look out.  LEGO trains are getting a lot of free exposure at • train
shows thanks to groups like yours, the PNLTC, the GMLTC and others.  LEGO • trains
definitely merit a SIG (Special Interest Group) within the NMRA already.

The key lies in TLC commitment to the theme, which I think has been • demonstrated
over the past 30 years.  We just need to get the word to TLC that the theme • needs
to be taken to the next level.  By that I mean providing the rudiments of • model
railroading-- decent track and prototypical trucks and couplers, DCC, • operating
points, crossings, etc., along with specialty elements which can add to the
realism of the trains themselves.  Elements such as thin railings, stairs,
various window sizes, etc.  The Trains theme needs to grow up, or another sub
theme such as MODEL TRAINS needs to be created.  If TLC can produce such a
technological theme as Mindstorms, it could do a revamp of Trains.

So we are doing the best we can with what we have, but it could be *so* much
better.  TLC, take the same energy that you poured into SW and put half of it
into Trains and the theme will go bonkers <good thing>

But lego's commitment to trains has declined rapidly in the last couple of
years.
The latest trains have moved in the opposite direction to what you desire.
i.e. more juniourisation, less realistic, 'stylised' trains.
Trains had its hay day in the 80's and early 90's and has declined ever
since.

Lego have shown no indication it will return (but then again, look what
happened to Castle)

For many AFOLs, the problem is that Lego seems still very committed to the
kids market, and the majority of its toys seem aimed at a younger audience
than ever.

Though this might draw some flak in response, I would say that model trains
(with the detail and realism you want) is an adult market, not kids, and
therefore unlikely to fit legos market profile.

Very sad, as I love model train lego stuff and would buy more. but thats the
point, I am an adult. And my kids have no interest in it what so ever. Star
Wars being the only lego thing to have caught their imagination in years.

regards
lawrence