 Trains / Train Organizations / 321
Re: Bright Future for LEGO Trains? (was Re:No LEGOFest...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:34:43 GMT

Ben Fleskes wrote:

John and Robin have some really good points.  Allow me to side in with my
opinion.

In some cases it is frustrating that LEGO doesn't sell the extended train
product line through retailers.  But for that to be effective, it would require
knowledgable retailers and most retailers do not have the expertise to pull it
off (at least not now).

As an alternative, LEGO could have a prominent LEGO Train website that profiles
LEGO train creations and offers LEGO train products for sale.  I've had
numerous people tell me they couldn't find trains on the LEGO webpage (www.lego
.com) That doesn't surprise me, you have to dig through numerous layers of
graphic intensive menues.

I don't even bother to go to their website.  Mr. Justus, are you listening?

I think most people that are into LEGO trains (ie they can afford them) would
have access to the internet and experienced with internet shopping.  So why
should LEGO sell to retailers?  Why not keep the business for themselves and
pocket a little extra margin for the trouble?  If I was calling the shots, that
's what I'd do.  (Based on my limited knowledge base and not having perfect
information).

Excellent ideas, Ben.  Makes *perfect* sense.  Mr. Justus, are you listening? ;-)

One interesting point, LEGO trains benefits so much by the presence and
activity of GMLTC, PNLTC and others.  We put on shows at train shows and
demonstrate products.  There is a growing misalignment of interests here.  Most
train shows are positioned to move product - non LEGO products.  The greater
our presence grows, the more it will not be welcomed as long as there is not
products to sell.  Much as Robin wrote about.

We are at the dawn of glorious age for LEGO trains.  But I expect our Glory to
thrive in a way much unlike any other train line, either model or toy train.

Agreed.

How fast and in what direction the growth will occur will depend highly on what
LEGO comes up with.  I'm sure they have heard our desires, their degree of
action will govern our growth.  Regarless, as long as LEGO train clubs continue
to grow, LEGO train as a serious hobby will continue to grow with our without
LEGO's cooperation - provided they do not cut the product line entirely.  And I
very much suspect they will not.

Even if they cut the line entirely, I could see LEGO trains flourishing as a
hobby.  All we would have to do is to adopt, say "O" gauge and use its trucks and
track, etc.  Purists might rip their clothes and cry blasphemy, but I think it
would catch on.  We will continue to grow, regardless.  Would be nice if it were
TLC leading the way instead of fleeing away, which is in effect what they are
doing by putting out the pabulum they have called trains the past few years....

We should all be very excited, we are at the dawn of a Glorious age for LEGO
trains.

Amen:-)

-John

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:

Robin Werner wrote:

I don't think LEGO Trains will ever have a large following like Star Wars.

<snippage galore>

Really?  I couldn't disagree more.  I think the theme Trains could easily • eclipse
all other themes combined.  If it can catch on as an accepted hobby among • model
railroaders, look out.  LEGO trains are getting a lot of free exposure at • train
shows thanks to groups like yours, the PNLTC, the GMLTC and others.  LEGO • trains
definitely merit a SIG (Special Interest Group) within the NMRA already.

The key lies in TLC commitment to the theme, which I think has been • demonstrated
over the past 30 years.  We just need to get the word to TLC that the theme • needs
to be taken to the next level.  By that I mean providing the rudiments of • model
railroading-- decent track and prototypical trucks and couplers, DCC, • operating
points, crossings, etc., along with specialty elements which can add to the
realism of the trains themselves.  Elements such as thin railings, stairs,
various window sizes, etc.  The Trains theme needs to grow up, or another sub
theme such as MODEL TRAINS needs to be created.  If TLC can produce such a
technological theme as Mindstorms, it could do a revamp of Trains.

So we are doing the best we can with what we have, but it could be *so* much
better.  TLC, take the same energy that you poured into SW and put half of it
into Trains and the theme will go bonkers <good thing>

.02,
John