 Trains / Train Organizations / 313
Re: No LEGOFest...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:42:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Christopher Masi writes:
Lego will not sell accesories to retailers! Wow, Rob, that is infuriating. I
always guessed that it was the otherway around; that is, retailers couldn't move
the trains so they stopped carrying all the train stuff. My guess was always a
bit suspect because around Christmas all the trains are gone from the stores

When I was last at The Construction Site, Crispin (person who runs the store)
mentioned that Lego allows them as a privilege to order this year's train
station, weighing station, etc. and they get a limited quantity. Something to do
with the store as a whole, like you can carry a full line of trains only when
you carry the full line of everything else (which Target or Wal-Mart never
will.) But he wasn't spelling out just what it took.

I bought a healthy amount of train "accessories" on that visit.

It must be one way Lego tries to reward dedicated retailers.

Protesting that Lego could sell a lot more trains if they pursued natural
partners like H&R--well, that assumes Lego sees a market for it, when its
priorities are on action toys and Town Jr.  Personally, as a young American
between the ages of 9 and 29 there were a zillion things less boring than
trains. I see differently now. But that's another topic.