 Trains / Train Organizations / 1082
Re: The effects of Bulk Sales are evident....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:42:54 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Warning, a bit rambly post on the theory of realistic building scenes.

In lugnet.trains.org, Scott Sanburn writes:
Steve Demlow said:

Tall isn't the problem (although transportion is an
issue).  Footprint is the
issue.  And one big building might be okay but we can't
cram a dozen of 'em
in there.  So overall we need to shoot for something
between "Lego corporate"
scale and "realistic" scale.

Indeed. At our show at GATS here in Michigan, we had some
interestig things, huge buildings by Chris Leach, and some
LEGO scale buildings as well. We were fortunate that we had
a lot of room, but it is something to consider for our next
few shows.

They (the MichLUG buildings) were stunning buildings but I think they
suffered from not being close enough together. Anything 5 stories or more
ought to be cheek to jowl with other stuff or it does have that cornfield
effect. And even low density buildings look better crammed together. Think
of most railroad districts, every square inch of land has some junk or some
building on it. Even the odd shaped parcels.

Odd shaped buildings are an area we always tend to underbuild. Railroad
districts tend to use the space that curves leave behind and fill it with
triangular or whatever buildings... LEGO layouts tend to be very orthoganal.

I think the GMLTC ought to consider having a few "baby" skyscrapers... no
more than 4 or 6 windows wide and no more than 6 or 8 stories high, crammed
into a relatively (OK, really really) small space. Think of a Manhattan
block. It's not very big but it may have a BUNCH of buildings in it. Some
are only 20 feet wide but still go up 6 or 8 stories. 3 25 story buildings
can share the same tiny (from one street to the next is not much more than
100 feet) block! Talk about crowded. Go for that effect and you get lots of
room for the vignettes that J3 wants (and I totally agree with him when he
says "we need more people"!).

Knowing J2, what he wants is some monstrosity that would make the miniland
grand central terminal building look kind of small. Tell him he has a budget
of so many studs by so many studs and he needs to cram all he wants to say
into that space.

Okay, here's a for instance.  Three of my buildings' footprints are: 28 x 44,
26 x 50, and 30 x 42.  Surely those aren't "monstrosities"!  Who's with me
here?

-John

It's all about selective compression, baby.

++Lar (who probably made the car shop one stall too wide but I digress)