 Trains / 9953
Re: GMLTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:37:11 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Kai Brodersen writes:
A year ago I asked the Greater Midwest Lego Train Club if I could become a
member.  Their response was "We are a highly localized group in The Twin
Cities/Minnesota area."    I dont know if that was the response any other of
you guys, but I live in Michigan IN THE MIDWEST!  Surely a man from Michigan
can join a GREATER Midwest lego Train Club?!?!?!?!?  This brings me to my
point.  Why is GMLTC named Greater MIDWEST Lego Train Club????  Shouldnt it
be Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul Lego Train Club???  What if MICHLTC were to
expand and have members from Indiana Illinios Ohio and so forth,  Would we
call it the IN-IL-OH-MICH-LTC or the I-I-L-O-M-LTC?  It seems fair that if
GMLTC is going to be Localized in Minnesota it should be the MLTC or
something of that matter.

Confused
Kai

Blame me if you like, I was there (on a long term project in MSP) at the
time that the club was deciding on a name. J2 had suggested GMLTC

Correction: I was looking to form a club entitled the "Upper Midwest LEGO Train
Club" (see early threads in .trains.org).  *J-1* and the others were thinking
about "Greater Minnesota", and had already secured gmltc.org for that name.
After a short impasse, it was J-3 who suggested "Greater Midwest LEGO Train
Club" (requiring no change in domain name), and it stuck.

, standing
for Greater Minnesota LTC. I lobbied hard for changing Minnesota to Midwest
to be more inclusive, since the club exhibited in Wisconsin as well as in
MN. I also didn't expect the blossoming of clubs that we have now.

I suspect the policy on membership requires that you are actually able to
attend meetings, which are held in Conan's basement. If you happen to be in
MSP, I am sure you'd be welcome to go to meetings... I was. Assuming you can
tone down your shouting, that is. But if they could put up with me and J2,
they can put up with you.

I'm not so sure.  Being a member of the GMLTC is not an entitlement.  And here
is something else to be confused about, Kai.  We could change our name to the
KLTC (Kai's LEGO Train Club) and *still* not invite you.  Go figure that.

John

At this point changing the name would not be practical, there is a lot of
clothing and logos and websites and stuff created, and besides, as Eric
said, GMLTC has "first mover" and was exhibiting before anyone else was.
Before you were even born, actually, if you wanted to get specific.

++Lar