 Trains / Train Organizations / 1150
Re: GMLTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:00:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Kelly writes:
<...snipped angry tones...>

And sorry John but i could copy right it before you do your first show and
sue your little *** for all its worth assuming your *** is worth something.

It is much too late.  Our first shows happened in 1985.

<...More angry tones snipped...>

by the way Larry i copyrighted the Logo For MICHLTC. And as Federal Law
states i can copy right anything by just puting a circled c at the bottom
and that is true if you want to argue...
the next time you do a MICHLTC show i guess youll have to use a different
logo or ask nicely to get my permission.

Kia-

Sorry you're so upset.  Just a FYI on the copyright info.  To successfully
defend a copyright, I'm pretty sure that you need to show that you had the
idea first.  The circle-c is to help people protect their intellectal
property simply, without a lot of paperwork.  Placing a cirle-c is one
thing, successfully defending it is another.

Regardless of if you could successfully defend the copyright on the logo, by
law you are prohibited from copyrighting an idea, fact, title, name, short
phrase, or blank form.  To protect a name, you would need to apply for a
trademark.  (You can see more here : http://www.benedict.com/basic/basic.htm )

If it's really that important to you, we have not trademarked the name gmltc
either as we like to spend our money on bricks.  We can't stop you from
calling your club gmltc too.  Of course whether you're recognized as such in
this forum is a matter of debate.

We don't change our ground rules about letting people display regardless of
how angry they are, so if in the future you decide to bring something to a
show, you are more than free to run it on the layout.  Helping to build the
layout however, requires a physical presence in Minneapolis.

-John

Thanks for you kindness but FYI my name is spelled KAI not the car company.