 Trains / 613
  DCC Trains

I am new to this news group and DCC Lego Trains sounds good to me. put me down for a 3 or 4, sorry about the late reply. Robin P.S. 39 days untill the H & R Train Show (St. Petersburg, Florida) See my web page for info: (URL) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Next show (was Re: DCC Trains

Hey Robin, < Note that you have your followups set wrong, other responders to Robin's original post will have to modify it from DCCTrainsIdea (not a group in the lugnet news hierarchy) back to lugnet.trains... > I wish I could see your next show, it (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DCC Trains

Robin, Nice layout ((URL) is the yellow thing next to your 5! LEGO voltage regulators? By-the-way, the plane....very nice touch. Chris (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains)

  LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

Larry Pieniazek (lar@voyager.net) wrote: [...] (...) Sounds like a rather good idea. It would probably not be that difficult to create a LDraw to Track Designer converter. I presume that all sub-files (except for track parts) should be converted to (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

Yep, that was EXACTLY what I was thinking of. The convertor should create the needed views (all the rotations), and if it can handle the scaling too, so much the better. Just scaling bitmaps down in an image editor gives weird artifacts if you're (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) Shouldn't give any problems. (...) If we just register the port information for the relevant parts (road plates, track, and monorail track), and inline all sub-files (not including parts) the inlined version of the model will contain indirect (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

This sounds like an excellent idea, however I'm not sure how to implement it. If it were a built in feature of Track Designer it would require that the entire rendering engine of LDraw be built into TD. A bit daunting! If it were built into LDraw, (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) Track Designer can already automatically rotate [1] and scale any new bitmap that you give it. I'm not sure why you would want to do this in an image editor? What are the weird artifacts that you are referring to when using magenta as the (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) A stand-alone utility could call LDraw (or LDLite) to produce the images, but extract the (port) information directly from the .DAT file. Calling into LDraw/LDLite is pretty easy -- both programs are command-line driven. The utility would have (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) I'm not too familiar with LDraw, can I call it with a design (.DAT file) and a viewpoint and get back a bitmap somehow? Matt (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) Yep. Pass in a .DAT filename, and include the -MS parameter (for Mode Save). A bitmap will be created in the ldraw\bitmaps directory. It will have the same filename. If there are step commands in the DAT file, several bitmaps will be created, (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Next show (was Re: DCC Trains

Larry and Newsgroup readers, (...) Sorry about the bad post mapping, sould of used reply. (...) Used Track designer for track layout and you got it bitmap editor for the rest. (...) I'll see what I can do. (...) I don't have ldraw, is it like ACAD? (...) (25 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) But rotations in 22.5 degree increments would be better, of course, and 11.25 might even be best, as we are then at the resolution of a curve segment, no? Since that requires rather complex calculations, it's more natural to have a rendering (...) (25 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) Oops. Forgot the bit about the viewpoint. That can be passed to LDraw as well. It's the -a parameter. Steve (25 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) I forgot to say that Magenta was the color I picked to be the "transparent" color because I did not use any magenta or anything remotely close to Magenta, in my bitmap image. This may well be a "MS Paint" thing, I forget where I was working at (...) (25 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) No, curves are 22.5 degrees. If you give Track Designer bitmaps at 0, 22.5, 45 and 67.5 degrees it can generate all the other possible rotations. However, the existing registry only has track at all these rotations, road plates, monorail[1] (...) (25 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)

(...) Duh, yes. 11.25 is just wishful thinking. Never mind. Well one teeny downside to your switch proposal is the new geometries that would result. worth it though, to be free from the tyranny the current geometry imposes. (25 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev)