 Trains / 635
Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:26:26 GMT

Matthew Bates wrote:

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Yep, that was EXACTLY what I was thinking of. The convertor should
create the needed views (all the rotations), and if it can handle the
scaling too, so much the better. Just scaling bitmaps down in an image
editor gives weird artifacts if you're already using magenta for your
background color.

Track Designer can already automatically rotate [1] and scale any new bitmap
that you give it. I'm not sure why you would want to do this in an image
editor? What are the weird artifacts that you are referring to when using
magenta as the background color?

Matt

[1] Currently it only supports rotations in 90 degree increments.

But rotations in 22.5 degree increments would be better, of course, and
11.25 might even be best, as we are then at the resolution of a curve
segment, no? Since that requires rather complex calculations, it's more
natural to have a rendering program do that work.

As to scaling, what I found when I used it was that I got better looking
images by downscaling in a bitmap editor and then touching it up. But
what happened would be that I would get some blending with magenta at
the edges of holes in the image, which I would then correct by hand.

Hope that clarifies.

++Lar