 Trains / 624
Re: LDraw and the Track Designer (Was: Next show)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:30:00 GMT

Larry Pieniazek (lar@voyager.net) wrote:

Yep, that was EXACTLY what I was thinking of. The convertor should
create the needed views (all the rotations), and if it can handle the
scaling too, so much the better.

Shouldn't give any problems.

I would convert EVERYTHING including track images, because expecting the
convertor to understand something like a monorail/road station which has
two monorail ports and two road ports is a bit much. It would be hard to
get it to do the port commands right. Better to use tagging.

If we just register the port information for the relevant
parts (road plates, track, and monorail track), and inline
all sub-files (not including parts) the inlined version of
the model will contain indirect port information through the
position and orientation information for the track and road
parts.

Perhaps some lines that LDraw views as remarks could be used, with a
defined syntax, to handle stuff like the PORTS and port types. I believe
there is precedent for doing that as well, isn't there, in the
directives that can be embedded for L3P to use? I forget.

That might be an option, but a separate file could probably
do the job for now.

Play well,

Jacob

        --  E-mail:         sparre@nbi.dk         --