 Trains / 3493
Re: Automatic decoupler designs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:07:49 GMT

I was working on a hump yard decoupler and was playing around with adding mags
to the track using the 2x2 tile that has clips to hold the mag. What's really
cool is how you can make a train car hop over the mag on the track. All this
play was big fun and was experimenting in creating a magnetic cat whisker or
pseudo reed switch.
another thread: Can any one say mag lev....

BTW we had a really nice guy visit a PNLTC display in Seattle that had a
wonderful and very clean and simple solution to the decouplers. It used a
rubber band limited rack driven by a motor. Ir pryed the couplers apart using
a stubby tappered technic beam at the bumpers.
DanParker do you recall his name? I unfortunately have forgotten!
SteveB
PNLTC
PS stubbier then this one http://www.auczilla.com/lego/xi/lot/?DLL01

In lugnet.trains, Ben Jackson writes:
LEGO train knuckles don't lend themselves to decoupling.  Has anyone got a • good
design (either as part of a switch engine or fixed to the track) design for an
automated separator?

I'm close to an in-engine (but very ugly) solution which can pry a neighboring
car off far enough to escape it.  On straight track I've found you can • reliably
tow a car around which is held 1/2" or more away from the magnets, so you've
got to be quick or push the car pretty far away!

For a switch engine I'm also thinking about hand winding an electromagnet to
replace the couplers.  It would be driven by an RCX output

I haven't played much with an on-track mechanism, but the best bet seems to be
prying the magnets apart sideways, since the forces involved in pushing cars
apart exceed the force required to derail a car, and applying that force
accurately is tough.

--Ben