 Trains / 3494
Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:07:34 GMT

A few (Hah!) years ago we used to get that realistic
slow train speed by running our Lionel "O" gauge and
American Flyer engines on DC.  We used an AC Gilbert
rectifier that was a full-wave selenium unit. By adding
a switch we made it be only half-wave, which gave us the
slow speeds, with 60 'pulses' of 1/2 wave AC per second.
It was a dramatic improvement in slow speed ability. It
also made us really clean our track, or we'd find every
dirty spot..

--
Regards,
Terry King   ...In The Woods In Vermont