 Trains / 3485
3484  |  3486
Subject:
Automatic decoupler designs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:03:41 GMT

LEGO train knuckles don't lend themselves to decoupling.  Has anyone got a good
design (either as part of a switch engine or fixed to the track) design for an
automated separator?

I'm close to an in-engine (but very ugly) solution which can pry a neighboring
car off far enough to escape it.  On straight track I've found you can reliably
tow a car around which is held 1/2" or more away from the magnets, so you've
got to be quick or push the car pretty far away!

For a switch engine I'm also thinking about hand winding an electromagnet to
replace the couplers.  It would be driven by an RCX output

I haven't played much with an on-track mechanism, but the best bet seems to be
prying the magnets apart sideways, since the forces involved in pushing cars
apart exceed the force required to derail a car, and applying that force
accurately is tough.

--Ben