 Trains / 3532
Re: Automatic decoupler designs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:51:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ben Jackson writes:
I built a version of the decoupler mentioned earlier in this thread.  It works
remarkably well!  I don't have the exact brick mentioned on the web page, but • I
do have an R2D2 foot, which is very similar:  a short technic beam with a
4-plate high 30 deg ramp on the end of it.  It doesn't matter that the bottom
(actually side in the decoupler) is flat.  Even with the flat side right
against one buffer it will poke just one of the knuckles and decouple the • cars.

As long as the decoupler starts somewhere between the two buffers it can go at
almost any speed and will not derail the cars.  If it's moving fast it will
send one car rolling away (if it's unsecured) because of the ramp on the
knuckle-poker.  If it moves slowly the cars will actually still hold each • other
gently.  If the decoupler retracts at that point the cars will rejoin.

For safety what it really needs is a way to tell if it hits something short of
where there should be a knuckle (in which case it hit a car or a buffer).  It
can't just stall in that case because the geartrain needs a lot of torque to
actually pop the knuckle in the good case.  Maybe I could drive the motor at
low power (with an RCX) until it clears a certain point and then power up when
it appears that the cars are lined up right.

--Ben

Ben,

I think you're correct in using the RCX in that way.  I use one in a similar
manner with my remote powered switch, and it elimates any stalls.  I actually
perform the opposite functionality - the motor is full power for a short burst,
then low power, then coast.  This gets me over the built in detents in the
switch/point housing.  In your case, you need the motor to feel out a good
decoupling position, then accellerate rapidly from that point to perform the
uncoupling routine.  I haven't had a chance to play with the uncoupler design
talked about here yet, but I plan an using an RCX to control it.  I'll
probably use either a light sensor or touch sensor (*shudder*) to tell the RCX
when a "good" position is for the uncoupling operation.

Ed