 Trains / 3491
Re: Automatic decoupler designs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:17:48 GMT

The idea of a switch engine with an electromagnet is VERY cool. I assume
you would actually reverse the magnetic polarity rather than just
turning it off?

If I used a magnet as a core and fixed it so it couldn't rotate, then the
electromagnet could be normally off (couples as usual, always forcing the other
knuckle to flip over).  When you wanted to decouple you'd produce the opposite
field and neutralize your fixed magnet temporarily.  This is how all of the
electronically controlled doors operate where I work.

I'm thinking my first train yard may be built on the bubble memory concept.  A
simple loop, always taking from the front and replacing on the back, looping
through to get the cars you want, putting back the cars you don't.  Of course
first I need some points!  Someone should post instructions for converting 10
or 20 curves into one switch.

--Ben