 Trains / 3490
Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:03:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Steven Barile writes:
I think I missed something here. What is "PWM mode"?

PWM stands for "pulse width modulation".  The LEGO speed control changes
voltage as you turn the knob.  An RCX turns the motor on and off really fast
but always supplies full voltage.  So half speed is a 50% duty cycle of full
power, rather than 100% duty cycle of half power.  Think of it like the
difference between driving a nail by pushing on it gently versus hitting it
with a hammer infrequently.  With the speed control you might start a stalled
train by momentarily pushing the control up higher and then backing off.  When
you control the motor with PWM a chip is doing that hundreds of times a second.

What language are you
programing in?

Mainly NQC right now, but when I get legOS working I'll play with that.  If you
saw my train axle counter you'll know why I need more speed from the RCX...

And what is the "internals page"?

RCX internals.  I believe there's a link from lugnet.robotics.

Thanks so much for pursueing this!

A coincidence, really.  I want to make a multi-RCX powered switch yard.  I was
waffling on buying more train stuff, and then Portland area Targets put their
bit sets on 40% clearance and I got 4 Railway Expresses.  So now I desperately
need some points!  Anyone need more curves?  ;-)

I did pick up the Unofficial Guideo to LEGO MS Robots by Jon Knudsen but
only skimmed thru it do you have any pointers within that text?

No, I don't have that.  Look at www.ben.com/LEGO/rcx/train-sensor.html and
follow the link to the source to see some elementary train control from RCX.

--Ben