 Trains / 2884
Re: Building Bridges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:54:36 GMT

Hi, all:

I'm in the midst of a large bridge project myself.  I'm adhering to the
2 plate slope / 1 plate rate-of-change guideline, but for other reasons.

I'd add that you probably shouldn't climb sharply through turns - that
just complicates the issue.

I haven't personally had much trouble with engine power on somewhat
steeper grades, pulling moderate-sized (8-12 car) trains.  The *big*
problem in the train speed coming *down* the slope - unless you're
very careful, or have *huge* straight run-outs, the train will be going
too fast when it hits the next turn, and *then* you'll see derailments.

This is of particular concern to me, as my layout is set on a ledge at
work, a full 5 feet off the ground - derailments are to be avoided at
all costs :)

My track climbs a total of 7.1 bricks, using supports of height:
0.1, 1.0, 1.2, 2.1, 3.0, 3.2, 4.1, 5.0, 5.2, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1 ...

The reason for the climb, btw, is that I needed to put machinery under
the track to support a lift-bridge that spans a hallway; the ledge is
5', and when idle, the train needs to allow, say, 6'6" clearance.  This
is simply too high to build a permanent bridge, so I've built a vertical
lift bridge to span the 28.75" gap that carries two parallel tracks.

The whole layout is about 26'7" long.

***

Another question - have people met with any trouble using a Mindstorms
unit to control their trains?  I'm looking to use one to control the
lift bridge, and I thought I'd dual-purpose it.  Consider that I might
be powering 2 trains over 4 power connectors and about 150 pieces of
track.

Thanks,

Jeff Elliott

In lugnet.trains, Nick Taylor writes:
The two plates per track length rule is best, however my kids and I
have built (and kept) a pier set that changes one block (3 plates) per
track section ... it requires a heavy loco or a fairly short train,
but it does allow for a shorter bridge approach.
- Nick -

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Consensus seems to be:

- don't change elevation by more than 2 studs per track length
  - this avoids overtaxing the ability of the motors to climb
- don't change the rate of change in elevation by more than 1 stud per
track length
  - this avoids derailments due to sudden grade changes.

Track Designer uses these rules when calculating bridges, etc. You want
to use that to doodle before you actually start building, saves a lot of
time.

Scott-A wrote:

I'm contemplating building a bridge so my train can cross over the track
below. Are there any guidelines for this. My main worry is track
gradient right now.

Scott A