 Trains / 2939
Re: Building Bridges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:22:43 GMT

Jeff Elliott wrote:

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

Lift Bridge.  I'm actually on my second version; the first was lifted by
long chain-link chains and powered from the top of the towers.  It only
carried a single track, and the deck was quite light, and a little flimsy.
I ran into difficulty with the fleixibility - when the centre of the
bridge depressed (eg: when the engine got there) the tips of the bridge
would rise slightly - enough to derail the car that was passing over,
at high speeds.

The current edition is very stiff, carries two tracks, and uses a rack and
pinion system at each end to crawl up the towers.

I'm using strings, and have problems with them not winding evenly.  This then
causes one side or another to be higher than the other.  End to end isn't too
bad, but I did not leave in any way to ajust a single string save much hassle
at one end...stupid, but it works for now, and I doubt I will change it until

If you use the chain links, you don't get the offset problem.  Drape them
over a driving gear and let the tail ends hang free (ie: don't wind them up)

That version of the bridge was powered from the centre of the connecting truss
at the top, and I had to use a differential (barrel of it rotation-locked) to
reverse the directions of the two drive axles so that both ends climb at
the same time.  A side-effect was that I build an adjustment wheel onto the
side of the differential that could adjust the height of one end with
regard to the other by rotating the differential barrel.

Jeff Elliott

Jeff,

  Thanks for the idea for adjusting the height of one side of the bridge. I have
been using crown gears to send power to both sides of my bridge. When the dogs
kick it over it is a pain to adjust. You locked the drive axels together using a
1 stud long connector? (Sorry, I do not know the technic term for that little
piece.

Chris