 Trains / 2923
Re: Building Bridges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:14:16 GMT

Scott-A wrote:

Impressive piece of engineering says the civil engineer in me. Not to
sure about you choice of blue for the columns though.

Glad you didn't design any bridges *I* have to cross. :-) I wasn't too
surprised to hear the deck flexes. it needs to be a truss, or at least a
much deeper girder. No way is 4 bricks of depth enough for a 20-30 inch
span.

c.f. "Galloping Gertie", the Tacoma Narrows bridge that flexed itself to
death in the 1940s... My childhood hero, Charles Steinman, designer of
the Mighty Mac, bid on that job. He didn't get it, but he warned that it
wasn't going to work. It didn't. So he bid to rebuild it. Bridge is
still there.